marriage and family
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- socially approved
- union between man and women (normally)
- obligation and reciprocity
gender division of labor theory
universally, people get married because they can divide up the labor force between each other.
a gift of money or goods from the groom to the bride
groom workds for the brides family before and sometimes after marriage
- prohibits sex between certain areas of kin.
- no mom-son, father-daughter, brother-sister
big transfer of goods or money from the brides family to the groom
dowery death burnings
the groom goes from bride to bride killing each one normally in the kitchen to call it accidental. greedy
theories for insest tabbo
- childhood familiarity theory: too close, dont want to mary brother
- freud psychoanalytic: son is atracted to mother but is scared of fathers retaliation
- family disruption: the house would fall apart if everyone was having sex
- cooperation: we marry to gain allis to better community
- inbreeding: heightens level of mutations
not marrying someone in your community
maying in your community
mans obligated to marry a brothers widow
womans obligated to marry a sisters husband
only one partner
- one women, many men.
- very rare
sisters marry the same husband
advantages of polygany marriage
- plenty of labor
3 forms of family
- matrifocal: just mom raising kids
- nuclear: mom dad kids dog
- extended: mom dad aunt grandma
sex before marriage
when the husbands are brothers and married to one woman.
a social and economic unit consisting minimally of one or more parents and their children
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview