Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are 3 contraindications to implant placement?
- Inadequate bone
- uncontrolled periodontal disease
true or false. It is ok for the dental hygienist to use the air polisher with implants
You can not use metal instruments on implants unless they are one of what 3 metals?
- titanium alloy
What is the success rate of dental implant with careful case selection?
greater than or equal to 90%
What are the 3 main types of dental implants?
- transosteal: supports mandibular denture in pts with severe bone resorption
- endosseous: MOST COMMON; it is more successful in the mandible due to denser bone
Which type of implants are surgically placed in the bone and are the most popular type of implants?
What are the 2 most commonly used metals in endosseous implants?
titanium and titanium alloy
What are 3 reasons why titanium and titanium alloys are the most common metals used in endossious implants?
- favorable biocompatibility with oral tissues
What material is used when need parallel of multiple implnts; for correct anbulation of implants? (surgical 2 stages)
acrylic STENT (guide)
What will happen in surgically placing an implant if excessibe heat is generated during drilling in the bone?
the bone can be damaged and will not integrate with the implant cylinder (or fixture)
What is a risk with the immediate-placement surgical procedure?
the implant is placed immediately into the fresh extraction site; and it causes loading of the implant under chewing forces before the bone shows healing around the implant, which may cause the implant to loosen and be lost
true or false. Although no connective tissue fibers (PDL or JE) are connected to the implant surface, close adaptation and attachment of ths sulcular epithelium to the implant surface are noted
What helps to develop a biological seal that prevents microorganisms from invading the tissues around dental implants?
the close adaptation and attachment of the sulcular epithelium to the implant surface
Home care for implant patients _______ from patient to patient
What are 5 products that can help pts with implants with their home care?
- Disclosing agents
- brushes: soft bristle, interproximal, end tuft, alter angulation of plastic handle, rotary w/pointed bristles
- floss: floss threaders
- wooden plaque removers
- antibacterial agents: CHX (may cause stain), listerine (can be used daily), orral irrigation (use low pressure)
How often should pts with implants come to the dental office?
every 3-4 months
Why might the dentist request radiographs of implants?
to check the bone level surrounding the implants
Is routine probing recommended for implants?
What type of instruments are recommended to used when titanium is exposed on the implant to avoid damage to the surface of the implant?
- plastic or graphic curettes and scalers
- metal instruments with a teflon or gold coating
What material is recommended for polishing implants if its necessary?
What are 2 possible causes for failure of the implant that occurs after the intial integration?
- bacterial infection from perio-implant tissue into the bone
- overloading the implant during function-loss supporting bone
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview