Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Compound Light Microscope
- - 1000x magnification
- - Capable of distinguishing points 200 nm apart
Electron Microscope: Transmission and Scanning
- - 30000x magnification
- - Capable of distinguishing points 0.5 nm apart
- - Better light source
- - Scanning electron: 3-D (topographical)
- Transmission: detailed 2-D
Characteristics of Life
- Living Organisms:
- 1. Are organized
- 2. Respond to stimuli
- 3. Reproduce
- 4. Grow and develop
- 5. Are homeostatic: defined as the ability to (tightly) maintain control of the internal systems of the organism
- 6. Are adapted
- 7. Take materials and energy from the environment
- 1. All living things are composed of cells.
- 2. New cells arise from pre-existing cells.
- 3. The cell is the smallest living thing that is capable of the characteristics of life.
- Examples of cell types:
- • Unicellular organisms: Bacteria, blue-green algae.
- • Multicellular organisms: Complex organisms, animals
- - Has chloroplast
- - Has cell wall (cellulose)
- - No centriole
- - Cell shaped and appearance is organized and symmetrical
- - No chloroplast
- - No has cell wall
- - Has centrioles and basal bodies
- - Cell shaped and appearance is not organized and symmetrical
- - Tend to be found in bateria and algae
- - Tend to be unicellular
- - No nuclear membrane
- - Have single, circular DNA
- - Lack most discrete organelles
- - But carry on eukaryotic functions: DNA replication, cellular respiration, Lysosome- like enzymes to K'd organic material
- - Tend to be found in animals
- - Tend to be multi-cellular
- - Have double-stranded DNA
- - Contains most discrete organelles
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview