Plants and Conquest of Land
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is Bryophytes?
- -Liverworts, hornworts, and Mosses
- -Forms Monophyletic phyla
- -Earliest of terrestrial Plants
What is Gametophtes?
- -Role to produce haploid gametes
- -Produced by mitosis
- -Gametangia protects developing gametes from drying out and microbial attack
- -Sperm swim to egg and fuse to form diploid zygote
- -Zygotes grow into sporophytes
What is antherida?
round or elongate gametangia producing sperm
What is archegonia?
flask shaped gametangia enclosing an egg
What are the bryophyte features?
- Gametophytes dominant generation
- Sporophytes are dependent on gametophyte-small and short lived
- Nonvascular or lacking tissues for structual and conduction found in other plants (vascular plant)
producing sporophyte generation.
Producing gametophyte generation.
What are the Sporophytes?
- Matrotrophy-Zyfotes remain sheltered and fed within gametophyte tissue.
- Embryophytes-all land plants have mastrotrophic embryos.
- Become larger and more complex.
What is Gymnosperms?
- Reproduce using spores and seeds (like angiosperms)
- Seed plants
- Seeds protect and provide energy for young sporophyte
- "Naked Seeds" meaning seeds are not enclosed by fruit
What is Angiosperms?
- Distinguished by presence of flowers and endosperm
- To enhance seed production
- Fruit develop from flowers and enclose seed and foster seed dispersal
- Endosperm is nutritive seed tissue w increased storage effeciency
First (Land) Plants
- Inherited some traits from charphycean algae
- Tissue-producing meristems, sporic life cycle, tough-walled spores, and sporophyte generation
- Contain vascular tissue and produce leaves and sporangia
- Contain phloem and xylem (contains trachids and lignin)
Specialized for uptake of water and minerals frm soil
Vascular tissue occur in major plant organs
stems, roots, and leaves
found in cuticle that helps preven pathogen attack
pores that open and close to allow gas exchange while minimizing water loss
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview