Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
- -gradual recovery of strength and health after illness
- After she got the flu, she slowly regained her convalescence and became able to go to school.
- -projecting/pointing outward
- The salient pier invaded the straight shoreline, extending into the ocean.
- -abnormal, monstrous
- Only if we made a prodigious effort that exceeded our capabilities would we be able to jump over the wide river.
- -entice, lure
- She inveigled her children inside from playing in the snow with the warm scent of hot chocolate and gingerbread.
- -a sudden alarming amazement or dread resulting in confusion
- When he glimpsed the flying cow over his rooftop, a look of consternation crossed his face.
- -strongly expressive
- He talked emphatically about his dog, his voice welling with emotion.
- -pleasantly cheerful
- My dog genially barked a greeting to me as I walked in, welcoming me back home.
- -using language with fluency and aptness
- They talked with such graceful eloquence that it was difficult to understand the subject of their conversation, since they used such big words.
- She glared at me menacingly, warning me not to speak of what she had just told me.
- -feeling characterized by strong displeasure
- I indignantly walked up to my sister and demanded my necklace back after she stole it again.
- -to cooperate secretly
- Although it was hard to notice, the siblings were conniving so that they could work together and convince their parents to unground them.
- -impressive due to great age or dignity
- The chapel's majestic old-world architecture made it appear greatly venerable.
- I eventually became inured to waking up early for school again and gradually stopped oversleeping.
- -seemingly harmless but of great effect
- I was skeptical of the exercises at first, but they turned out to be insidious and immediately produced results.
- -shining forth brilliantly, radiant
- The sun suddenly appeared with effulgence, blinding us with its brilliance.
- -to strip the covering from
- She denuded him of his land after the divorce, keeping the house and leaving him with nearly nothing.
- -present but not visible
- There was a latent tension between them after they broke up, which seemed obvious to me but neither of them dared to admit it.
- -bounce, move joltingly
- She jounced around on the trampoline, hyper and full of energy.
- He contemplated swimming with the sharks, but thought that imperiling himself like that would be too great a risk.
- -mental disturbance/agitation
- Her constant humming perturbed him so he couldn't think properly and became annoyed.
- -to give emphasis or prominence to
- Her blue sweater accentuated her bright eyes, making their blue color stand out more than usual.
- -keenly watchful to detect danger
- I was careful to keep vigilant the first night we went camping, because we didn't know if we would encounter a mountain lion.
- He imprudently walked through the jungle, seeming not to be worried about possibly meeting a dangerous animal.
- -observation or action, caution
- Being a new driver, he approached the parking space with circumspection, carefully backing into it.
- -to make or cause to become worse
- His vision became impaired after he was dared to look at the sun for a minute without stoppingl
- -imperious or dictatorial
- She peremptorily demanded a puppy for her birthday, and her parents followed these orders.
- -perceiving by intuition
- I intuitively knew that she was upset because I could tell that she was feigning a smile.
- She used the fact that her sister had taken her hairbrush without asking as a pretext to get her in trouble.
-well-suited for the occasion
-a simultaneous or continuous discharge of firearms
-an utterance of good wishes
-lying on the back with face/front upward
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview