The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
primary sexual characteristics
secondary sexual characteristics
everything u know about fibroid tumors?
- leiomyomas, myomas (same as fibroid)
- slow growing solid tumors of the uterus
who's at increased risk for fibroid tumors?
what happens to fibroid tumors after menopause?
why can fibroid tumors cause anemia?
what kind of surgery?
surgery does what?
- remove or deprive fibroid of blood supply
when are ovarian tumors usually found
too late in teh disease
*survival rate is low
Ovarian tumors metastasize by....
- direct extension
- free floating abd cells
how are ovarian tumors treated
risk factors for ovarian tumors
- age : 50-60
- fam hx
- nulliparity or 1st over 30
- breast ca
- gene mutations
risks for breast cancer?
age, gender, genetics
- fam tendency
- onset of mense before 12 yrs old
- oral contraceptives
- nulliparity or 1st after age 30
- HRT more than 5 yrs
- high fat diet
- sedentary life style
manifestations of breast cancer
- nipple discharge
- nipple retraction
when are mammograms done after age 40?
when are mammograms done 20-30 yrs old
how is breast cancer treated
- mastectomy w/ or w/o reconstruction
testicular cancer common between what ages
who's at risk?
- white more than af ams
- cryptochordism (undescended teste)
- Ca of other testes
- maternal hormone use
- painless swelling of one teste (most common)
- testes enlargment
- dull ache in pelvis/scrotum
dx for testicular ca
- tumor markers:
- HCG - beta human chorionic gonadotropin
- AFP - alpha fetoprotein
- LDH - lactate dehydrogenase
treatment for testicular ca
- surgery (orchiectomy)
what is the most common cancer in men
what age does prostate cancer happen
*curable when caught early
early s/s of protate ca?
late s/s of prostate ca?
- slow stream
- weak stream
- blood w/ ejaculation
risk for protate ca
- race - af am more at early age/ low incidence in asian countries/
- high fat diet
- excess vit A
excess in w/c vitamin increases risk of prostate ca
dx for prostate ca?
- DRE - digital rectal exam
- PSA - prostate specific antigen (PSA should be drawn before DRE)
surgery for prostate ca
other treatments for prostate ca?
- hormone manipulation
other complications of prostate ca
- erectile dysfunction
- urinary incontinence
surgical management for localized prostate ca
TURP: transurethral resection of prostate (take out overgrown part)
TURP is done to cure prostate ca. t or f?
promote urination for those with advanced disease
nurse assessment post TURP.
pt should be voiding 150-200 ml of clear yellow urine 3-4 hrs