Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
The power of nice
it pays to be nice
growth is the result not of fear and intimidation, but of smiles and compliments
small kindness, the smiles, gestures, compliments, favors,
- -Positive impressions, seeds that grow and expand
- -someone unimportant can become an importatnt contact
- -nice must be atuomatic
- -harness the power of empathy
Can you learn to be a leader? Behavioral perspective
this approach argues that behaviors, not traits, importatnt
early behavioral theorist say two broad categories; task oriented and relationship oriented. These are similar to the two trait dimensions of the trait theorist; competency and warmth.
Douglas McGregor; Theory X and Theory Y, Task oriented leaders
- he said managers either believe theory X or Y
- X all workers are lazy, incapable of taking initiative or or making decision, need to be closely monitiored
Y workers will be intrinsically motivated if given the chance to take pride in their work and achievements
Five studies with 12,000 managers
managers who were theory x were more likely to be lower achieving managers
University of Michigan studies
classified leaders on a single dimension that ranged from employee centered to job centered, but not both
Ohio State "High-High Model"
- Consideration: leaders how consideration when they support employee's needs, by being friendly caring.....
- -this increases job satisfaction and commitment
- Initiating structure: these leaders explain work roles, specify how to do the work, assign task and schedule production, and set high performance standards
- -this improves task performance
- Recommends that leaders do both