Explain the formation of Stalactites, Stalagmites and pillars.
- Found in cave systems where the underground water is rich in calcium carbonate(CaCO3)
- CaCO3 rich water percolates downwards through joints in the limestone.
- As it reaches the open cave, some water evaporates and the CaCO3 is redeposited as CalciteStalagmites are rounded mounds of calcite which build up on the floor of the cave as the water drips splash on the ground
- Stalagtites are calcite 'icicles' hanging from the roof of a cave formed as water drips downwards.
- Where Stalactites and Stalagmites meet a calcite pillar forms