Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is metabolism?
All the chemical reactions that take place in the body
What is Energy Metabolism?
Chemical reactions that enable cells to obtain & use energy from nutrients
1) What is the process of making new molecules from smaller ones critical for growth, repair, maintenance & synthesis of body tissue?
2) Does is require energy, or release it?
E.G. Glucose+Glucose = Glycogen
- 1) Anabolism
- 2) Requires energy
1) What is the process of breaking down/ degradation of larger, more complex molecules to smaller ones?
2) Does it require energy, or release it?
- 1) CATabolism
- 2) Releases energy
- E.G. Glycogen = Glucose+Glucose
Does the body use ATP as a source of energy, or does it access the energy in CHO's, Fats & proteins directly?
The energy from the CHO's etc.. is used to form the ATP
Name the 3 components of ATP
- 1) sugar molecule
- 2) a base
- 3) Phosphate groups
Name the 2 phases of Cellular Respiration.
- 1) Aerobic Phase/Aerobic Respiration
- 2) Anaerobic Phase/Anaerobic Respiration
Name the 3 ways in which ATP can be formed
- 1) Formation of ATP by phosphocreatine
- 2) Formation of ATP by the breakdown of glucose/glycogen (glycolosis)
- 3) Formation of ATP via oxidative processes
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview