All the chemical reactions that take place in the body
What is Energy Metabolism?
Chemical reactions that enable cells to obtain & use energy from nutrients
1) What is the process of making new molecules from smaller ones critical for growth, repair, maintenance & synthesis of body tissue?
2) Does is require energy, or release it?
E.G. Glucose+Glucose = Glycogen
2) Requires energy
1) What is the process of breaking down/ degradation of larger, more complex molecules to smaller ones?
2) Does it require energy, or release it?
2) Releases energy
E.G. Glycogen = Glucose+Glucose
Does the body use ATP as a source of energy, or does it access the energy in CHO's, Fats & proteins directly?
The energy from the CHO's etc.. is used to form the ATP
Name the 3 components of ATP
1) sugar molecule
2) a base
3) Phosphate groups
Name the 2 phases of Cellular Respiration.
1) Aerobic Phase/Aerobic Respiration
2) Anaerobic Phase/Anaerobic Respiration
Name the 3 ways in which ATP can be formed
1) Formation of ATP by phosphocreatine
2) Formation of ATP by the breakdown of glucose/glycogen (glycolosis)