Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Genetic Engineering (definition)
Manipulation of genes
"Identical copies of a gene"
Recombinate DNA (Gene Cloning)
- "Mixing up" DNA from one source with DNA from another.
- *Must have a vector
- 1st: vector-Bacteria / Target Gene
- 2nd: insert target gene into vector
- 3rd: bacteria replaicates--copies of gene
- 4th: extract gene or protein
Benefits of Gene Cloning
- Mass production of:
- EPO to prevent anemia
- Factor 8
- GMO- aquired genes through artificial means (BST cows)
- Transgenic- source of gene is different species (ex. flavor savr tomato)
to repair damaged or diseased organs (ex. pancreatic cells to produce Insulin)
Any feature that is heritable (can be transferred from parent to offspring)
Alternative version of a gene
Only one copy needed for expression (capital H)
Need 2 copies for expression (lower case h)
2 copies of same allele
2 different copies of allele
Set of alleles for gene
Physical characteristics (based upon genotype)
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview