BIO CH> 12
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Blood flows through a network of______,______,_______
arteries, capillaries, and veins
What are arteries?
- -carry blood away from heart
- -they get smaller the further away from the heart they are( arterial, capillaries)
What are Capillaries?
- -smallest of blood vessels
- -form networks called capillary beds
What are Capillary beds?
- Gas exchange
- O2 picks up CO2Not all capillaries are filled with blood at once
- Sphincters regulate the blood in the capillaries
- Return blood to heart
- Walls are thinner than arteries
- 1)have valves
- 2)contraction of skeletal muscle
- 3)breathing pressure changes (high to low)
Contraction of the heart is known as _____________
Relaxation of the heart is__________
Heart beasts on its own w/o outside stimulation is___________________
High Blood Pressure/ Hypertension
- heart is over worked
- High risk:
- ~prolonged stress
- build up of fatty deposits
- causing inflamitory respones
- then coronary artery disease
- then myocardial infraction
Treatments are angioplasty and Coronary Bypass
- a. carry blood away from the heart.
- b. return blood to the heart.
- c. are the vessels that directly exchange materials with the body’s cells.
- d. contain three distinct layers: an inner endothelium, a middle muscular layer, and an outer layer of connective tissue.
- e. are more than one of the above.
Which chamber of the heart would you expect to be the most powerful?
- a. Right atrium
- b. Right ventricle
- c. Left atrium
- d. Left ventricle
- e. They should all be equally powerful.
Blood in the left atrium
- a. is high in CO2 and O2.
- b. is high in CO2 and low in O2.
- c. is high in O2 and low in CO2.
- d. is low in CO2 and O2.
- e. contains neither O2 nor CO2.
The semilunar valves prevent the backflow of blood from the
- a. arteries to the ventricles.
- b. veins to the atria.
- c. ventricles to the atria.
- d. arteries to the atria.
- e. arteries to the veins.
When the heart beats, the electrical signals travel through the heart in which of the following orders?
- a. SA node AV bundles AV node Purkinje fibers
- b. AV bundles Purkinje fibers AV node SA node
- c. AV node SA node AV bundles Purkinje fibers
- d. Purkinje fibers SA node AV node AV bundles
- e. SA node AV node AV bundles Purkinje fibers
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview