Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
reflects the force exerted by the blood in the arteries during heart contraction (systole) and relaxation (diastole)
occurs during ventricular systole of the heart & represents the max. amount of pressure exerted on the arteries
occurs during ventricular diastole of the heart & represents the min. amount of pressure exerted on arteries
what is the normal systolic and diastolic bp?
- systolic <120
- diastolic <80
what is the range for prehypertension?
- systolic 120-139
- diastolic 80-89
what is the range for stage 1 HTN?
- systolic 140-159
- diastolic 90-99
what is the range fpr stage 2 HTN?
- systolic >160
- diastolic >100
For a client to be diagnosed w/ hypertension what has to happen?
They have to have 2 consecutive BP at the hypertensive range 2 different consecutive visits
what could hypotension be the result of?
- fluid depletion
- heart failure
whats pulse pressure?
what is postural (orthostatic) hypotension?
bp falls when a client changes position from lying to sitting or standing
how does one assess someone with orthostatic hypotension?
- take bp & hr lying down
- take bp in sitting or stand position
- wait 1-5 mins & reassess
- = orthostatic hypotension if systolic blood pressure decreases more than 20 mm Hg or the diastolic bp decrease more than 10 mm Hg w/ 10-20% increase in HR
name factors that affect bp?
- circadian rhythms
- ethnicity- african americans have higher bp
- gender- males higher bp till women postmenopausal
what kind of lifestyle modifications could you suggest to a client w/ HTN?
- smoking cessation
- dietary modification--- DASH (restrict NA, adequate K, Ca & Mg, restrict cholestrol & saturated fats)
- weight control
- modification of alcohol intake
- physical activity
- stress reduction
which of the following techniques are correct wehn assessing a clients Bp? (select all that apply)
have client drink a cup of coffee
make sure the client has been sitting quiety for at least 5 mins
average 2 or more readings, seperated by at least 2 mins
keep the room cold to ensure vasoconstriction
avoid taking bp readings in an arm w/ a running IV
- make sure the client has been sitting quietly for at least 5 mins
- average 2 or more readings, seperated by at least 2 mins
- avoid taking bp readings in arm w/ running IV
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview