The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee
- Young black students who battled their elders for leadership of civil rights movement
- disliked MLK
- Interacial= blacks and whites work together
- Carmicheal- ghandian non-violence to achieve equality
- blacks have 2 probs: poor & black
- Congress Of Racial Equality
- want rights for all people
- most international and interfaith
- plans an attack on segregation that uses civil disobedience
- biracial and inter-religious
- Freedom rides protest
- Southern Christian Leadership Confrence
- middle class, well educated, mostly black
- organizational heart of civil rights movement
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
- political, social, educational rights of all people
- The National Organization for Women
- Betty Friedan- Feminine MystiqueGroup was to serve women like the NAACP served black's
- wanted true equality for women
- they want daycares
- every women should be educated to their full potential
- women should be able to help support their families
- The National Black Femanist Organization
- founded to address the concerns of black women who felt that the women's movement & civil rights failed
- worked to understand & explain how race, class, gender shaped the black womens experience in the U.S.
- developed stragtegies to end racism
- Students for a Democratic Society
- 50 students from Ivy league and big ten universities
- Port Huron Statement- impassioned critique of an american society grown complacent
- called on fellow students to lead "reinvigoration" of american politics throguh "participatory democracy"
- 100's of groups coast to coast= "New Left"
- antiwar marches & protests
how does conscensus unravel?
- blacks renouncing on violence
- groups of people are demanding their rights (indians)
- american's are into Vietnam and being supportive but don't care about politics