Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
1. Check bus on approach.
Approaching the vehicle note the general overall condition, looking for damage and checking the area around the vehicle for hazards to any movement of the vehicle (i.e., people, other vehicles, low hanging wires or branches, or any other objects)
2. Check maintenance folder.
Open the vehicle and check the maintenance folder for the previous trip's "Daily Vehicle Inspection Report", noting any discrepancies. Make sure that all write-ups have been dealt with and that the bus is safe to operate. the folder should be kept in the driver's seat while in the yard. Check pouch for required documents (registration, cab cards, insurance papers, fuel cards, etc.)
3. Check driver's seat area.
- Check Fire Extinguisher - rated 4:BC
- Check SPAB card - inspection date within 13 months
- Check Driver's seat for securement
- Check Driver's seatbelt for frays
4. Check parking brake and transmission lever.
- Check that the parking brake is set.
- Check that the transmission lever is in Neutral.
Note: There is an automatic switch that preventss the bus from starting when the selector lever is in gear.
5. Check switches. Open window.
Check to see that all switches in the driver's compartment are in the "off" position. Start with the far left side panel and continue around the front and across to the right.
Open the driver's window.
6. Cold check walk-around.
Check that the fuel cap is closed and secure.
- Note: NO 1 Diesel is recommended.
- NO 2 Diesel is acceptable.
- Keep locked on trip.
While doing the "cold check", note the general conditon of the bus, i.e., scratches, broken lenses, windows, etc.
Note: Write-ups on the condition of the bus (not mechanical) should be noted on your driver's trip sheet, not on the Daily Vehicle Inspection Report. (VIR)
7. Check right side of bus:
- Check windows
- Check lights
- Check reflectors
- Check DOT number and VIA Adventures, Inc. clearly marked
8. Check each coompartment in turn, checking for:
- Check Cleaning equipment
- Check Ladder
- Check Snow chains or cables
- Check Spare fan belts
- Check Triangle road reflectors - should be three; full of sand and NO damage
9. Check right rear wheels:
- Strike tire tread checking for inflation, as well as visually looking for a flat tire
- Check depth of tread - Minimus are 4/32 Front, 2/32 Rear
- Check side walls for cuts or bulges
- Check wheel rim for damage and good seal with tire
- Check valve stems for securement
- Check wheel for cracks
- Check security of lug nuts (tapping and feeling for vibration, as well as trying to turn lug nuts)
- Check wheel bearing oil levels on front and tag wheels; leaks of any sort
- Check suspension system components (i.e., billows, shocks, etc.)
10. Open rear engine compartment and check:
- Check cooling fluid level
- Check engine oil level
- Check condition of belts
- Check condition of hoses
- Check general condition
- Check under the engine compartment for signs of leaking oil, coolant, or grease
11. Continue around the bus checking:
- Check left rear wheels
- Check left side windows, lights, and reflectors
- Check left front wheel
- Check security of mirrors
- Check condition of windshield and windshield wipers
- Check right front wheel
12. Start engine
Enter the bus, turn on the Master Switch & start engine
Do not engage starter for longer than 15 seconnds. Allow starter motor to cool before a second attempt.
13. Check dash lights and switches.
While waiting for the alternator to come on line, check dash lights and switches.