Give 6 benefits of gasification over direct combustion.
- 1) Allows for use of high efficiency combined cycle over typical Rankine Cycle.
- 2) Generates less CO2, NOx, and particulates.
- 3) For high sulfer coal the elemental sulfer can be retained with limestone during gasification.
- 4) Gasification/compression may be cheaper than boiler, condenser, engine required for small scale Rankine Cycle
- 5) Requires less water.
- 6) Allows for cleaning of dirty fuels for applications like glass manufacturing.
**If heat is the only product desired combustion may be preferable, especially at small scale.