The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
what cranial nerve do you assess for hearing?
Cn VII (acoustic)
what cranial nerve do you assess for smell?
CN I (olfactory)
what cranial nerve do you assess for taste?
- CN VII (facial)
- CN IX (glossopharyngeal)
what cranial nerve do you assess for tongue movement and strength?
CN XII (hypoglossal)
what cranial nerve assess movement of soft palate and gag reflex. Assess swallowing and speech as well.
- CN IX (glossopharyngeal)
- Cn X (Vagus)
what is cerumen? is it an expected or unexpected finding?
to look in adults ear in what direction do you pull the ear? what about a child? how far do you insert the speculum of the otoscope?
- up and back
- down and back
- 1-1.5 cm
What should the tympanic membrane look like?
pearly gray and intact
what should the ear canal look like?
pink with fine hairs
Tell me the test and the expected finding. One ear is occluded and the other ear is tested to see if the client can hear whispered sounds w/o seeing the examiner's mouth move. repeat w/ other ear.
- Expected findings: client can hear the examiner whisper softly 30-60 cm
- test: Whisper (CN III)
Tell me the test and expected finding. Place a vibrating tunning fork firmly agaist the mastoid bone and note the time. Have the client state when he can no longer hear the sound, note the time, and then move the tunign fork in fron to fthe ear canal. when the client can no longer hear the tuning fork note the time.
- expected finding: aic conduction > bone conduction; 2-1 ratio
- Test: Rinne test
what is the expected finding and the test. Place a vibrating tunign fork on top of the clients head. ask the client if the sound is heard best in the right ear, left ear, or both equally.
- expected: sound is heard equally in both ears (negative webers)
- Test: Webers
what is the scale used to grade the size of tonsils?
- 1+: barely visible
- 2+: halfway to uvula
- 3+: touching the uvula
- 4+: toughing each other or midline
expected or unexpected?
pale, boggy nasal muscoua
white plaques on tongue bilaterally
ear cnals patent w/ slight amount of amber cerumen present in the right ear
reddened, bulging, tymapanic membrane
gag reflex present and speech clear
air conduction less than bone conduction in both ears
auricles nontender and w/o lesions
auditory acutiy intact to the spoken voice but not to a whisper in right ear
- pale, boggy nasal muscoua= unexpected
- white plaques on tongue bilaterally= unexpected
- ear cnals patent w/ slight amount of amber cerumen present in the right ear= expected
- reddened, bulging, tymapanic membrane= unexpected
- gag reflex present and speech clear= expected
- air conduction less than bone conduction in both ears= unexpected
- auricles nontender and w/o lesions= expected
- auditory acutiy intact to the spoken voice but not to a whisper in right ear= unexpected