AP Euro Ch. 25 Key Terms "Europe and the World"
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- The use of public opinion to stir support for one's own nation and hatred for another nation.
- Used extensively by political leaders to justify imperial expansion.
- An International conference held to decide who should run the Congo Basin.
- Yielded the Congo to Leopold II of Belgiumas the Congo Free State.
- Laid down the ground rules for all other colonial acquisitions in Africa.
- The best-known British investor, politician, and financier.
- Intent upon expanding his wealth through an expansion of British power.
- Attempted to overthrow the government of Afrikaner to eliminate economic intervention.
- The rebellion of Chinese peasants against the foreign, Christian exploitation in northern China.
- Made clear to the Western powers of their limited ability to control social unrest in China.
An intellectual who popularized Social Darwinism, a hiercarchy of races with Europeans being the dominant race over Africans due to evolutionary processes, thus justifying Imperialism.
- This canal joined the Mediterranean and Red Seas.
- Created a new, safer trade route to the East.
- Trading vessels no longer had to go all the way around Africa's Cape of Good Hope.
- Built by France.
- English purchased a controlling interest.
An alliance between Great Britain, France, and Russia in reponse to the Triple Alliance (Italy, Germany, and Austria)
- An alliance between Austria-Hungary and Germany because Russia felt betrayed by Bismarck and ended ties with Germany.
- Italy later joined in 1882 to form the Triple Allinace.
- A cousin of Charles Darwin and criminologist who proved the individuality of fingerprints.
- Propogated pseudoscientific ideas about eugenics, the improvement of the human race through selective breeding
- An alliance between Germany and Russia that stipulated that each power would maintain neutrality should the other find itself at war.
- Bismarck was walking a fine line with so many secret treaties.
J. A. Hobson
A journalist and theorist of imperialism who denounced the "abuse of the press" in Psychology of Jingoism (1901), recognizing Jingoism as nationalism melded with xenophobia.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview