The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is the General characteristic of all protistas?
they are all eukaryotes
What are three types of protists?
Animal like , plant like, fungus like
What are the characteristics for the animal like protists?
- "first animals"
- *classified based on movement
- -no cell wall
- -all unicellular
What are the characteristics for the plant like protists?
- -cell wall
- -classified based on color
- -mostly unicellular some multicellular
What are the characteristics for the fungus like protists?
- -use spores
- -they can move
What are the life processes for algae?
- movement- cilia, flagella, float
- nutrition- autotrophic
- respiration-aerobic (o2 in co2 out -cr and co2in o2 out -photo)
- Reproduction- sexual (alteration of the generations ) asexual
What are the life processes for protozoans ?
- movement- cilia, flagella , pseudopods
- nutrition - heterotrophic
- respiration- aerobic ( o2 in / co2 out -cr)
- reproduction-asexual( mitosis) sexual (conjugation)
What are some harmful and beneficial effects of algae ?
- harmful : cause red tides
- algae bloom
Beneficial : tooth paste , some cleaners, o2 production, foods, agar
What are some harmful and beneficial effects of protozoans?
- Harmful : sickness ameoboid dysintary
- - african sleeping sickness
What are the characteristics of fungi?
- -cell walls made of chitin
- - multicellular
- - heterotrophic
*classified based on their method of sexual reproduction
what is a fungus nutrition ?
- all heterotrophic
- (saprophytes, mutualistic, or parasitic )
- -extracellular digestion with absolption (outside)
What is fungus respiration ?
- -cellular respiration (aerobic and anerobic )
What are fungi composed of ?
hyphae the fuse together to form a network of filaments called mycelium
What is Zygomycota ?
Includes bread moldes
Hyphae from two different organisms can meet to form a zygote . This zygote then becomes a zygospore.
have stolons and rhizoids
What is Ascomycota ?
includes yeast , cup fungi , and powdery mildew . These produce ascus that produce spores.
What is Basidiomycota?
- The club fungi
- includes- mushrooms ,shef fungi , rust , smuts and puffballs
- the spores are produced in a club like structure called basidia
- - a basidiospore
What is Deuteromycota ?
includes penicillium con only produce asexually .
What is mycophycota ?
- -includes linches and mycorrhizae
- -both are mutualistic
What are linchens?
fungus and a photosynthetic organism (algae or cynobacteria )
What are mycorrhizae?
-soil fungus that grows into plant roots
What are harmful and beneficial effects of Fungus ?
harmful : cause disease ( athletes foot , ring worm, yeast infection ) destroy food
- beneficial : eat them / flavor foods
- brewing and making bread