Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is the General characteristic of all protistas?
they are all eukaryotes
What are three types of protists?
Animal like , plant like, fungus like
What are the characteristics for the animal like protists?
- "first animals"
- *classified based on movement
- -no cell wall
- -all unicellular
What are the characteristics for the plant like protists?
- -cell wall
- -classified based on color
- -mostly unicellular some multicellular
What are the characteristics for the fungus like protists?
- -use spores
- -they can move
What are the life processes for algae?
- movement- cilia, flagella, float
- nutrition- autotrophic
- respiration-aerobic (o2 in co2 out -cr and co2in o2 out -photo)
- Reproduction- sexual (alteration of the generations ) asexual
What are the life processes for protozoans ?
- movement- cilia, flagella , pseudopods
- nutrition - heterotrophic
- respiration- aerobic ( o2 in / co2 out -cr)
- reproduction-asexual( mitosis) sexual (conjugation)
What are some harmful and beneficial effects of algae ?
- harmful : cause red tides
- algae bloom
Beneficial : tooth paste , some cleaners, o2 production, foods, agar
What are some harmful and beneficial effects of protozoans?
- Harmful : sickness ameoboid dysintary
- - african sleeping sickness
What are the characteristics of fungi?
- -cell walls made of chitin
- - multicellular
- - heterotrophic
*classified based on their method of sexual reproduction
what is a fungus nutrition ?
- all heterotrophic
- (saprophytes, mutualistic, or parasitic )
- -extracellular digestion with absolption (outside)
What is fungus respiration ?
- -cellular respiration (aerobic and anerobic )
What are fungi composed of ?
hyphae the fuse together to form a network of filaments called mycelium
What is Zygomycota ?
Includes bread moldes
Hyphae from two different organisms can meet to form a zygote . This zygote then becomes a zygospore.
have stolons and rhizoids
What is Ascomycota ?
includes yeast , cup fungi , and powdery mildew . These produce ascus that produce spores.
What is Basidiomycota?
- The club fungi
- includes- mushrooms ,shef fungi , rust , smuts and puffballs
- the spores are produced in a club like structure called basidia
- - a basidiospore
What is Deuteromycota ?
includes penicillium con only produce asexually .
What is mycophycota ?
- -includes linches and mycorrhizae
- -both are mutualistic
What are linchens?
fungus and a photosynthetic organism (algae or cynobacteria )
What are mycorrhizae?
-soil fungus that grows into plant roots
What are harmful and beneficial effects of Fungus ?
harmful : cause disease ( athletes foot , ring worm, yeast infection ) destroy food
- beneficial : eat them / flavor foods
- brewing and making bread