Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
what are positive symtomps
excesses of or bizarre additions to noraml thoughts, behaviors, and emotions
what are negative symptoms
deficits of thoughts, emo, and behaviors
what is Formal thought disorder ?
a disturbance in the production and organization of thought
what is Loose associations
a common thinking disturbance in schizophrenia, characterzied by rapid shifts form one topic of converstaion to another.
derailment is alos kwown as what?
what are Hallucination
the experiencing of sights, sounds, or other perceptions in the absence of external stimuli
display of emotions that are unsuited to the situation
a decrease in speech or speech content; also known as poverty speech
lack of expressed emotions
a pattern of extreme psychomotor symptoms found in some forms of schizo. which may include: stupor, rigidity, or posturing.
people with schizo. experience ______ as a result are drained from energy and dont fallow through on goals or take action to start a task.
ackward movements or repeated grimaces and odd gestures can be catagorized as ________
A) DSM check list for schizo. they must have two of what?
- b) halluciantions
- c) disorganized speech
- d) grossly diorganized or catatonic behavior
- e) negative symptoms
B) schziophrenia check list of DSM
- 2. functioning markedly below the level achieved prior to onset
- 3. continuous signs of the disturbance for at least 6 months, at least one month of which includes symptoms in full and active.
some sch. have enlarged _____
biology of schizophrenia: They have small and abnormal what?
- *frontal lobe
- *Tmperal Lobe
- *Temporal Lobe
Englarged Ventricles can lead to what type of behavior?
experience a poorer social adjustment prior to the disorder and greater cog. disturbances.
shizophrnics brain abnomaliteis might be do to _____ before birth
the theory that schizophrenia results from exessive activity of the neurotransmitter dopamine
drugs that help correct grossly confused or distorted thinking
Phenothaiazine was that __A__ group of anthihistamine drugs of effective __B__ medications
what is Psychosis?
State defined by a loss of contract with realtity
Symptoms of Psychosis
- A. flase sensory perceptions
- B. false beliefs
who is most likely to develop Schizo. men or women?
D) Equay likely
What is the course of Schizophrenia?
- A. Prodromal
- B. Active
- C. Residual
- A. beginning of deterioration; mild symptoms with withdrawal and strange language.
- B. symptoms become increasingly apparent
- C. A return to prodromal
DSM-IV-TR distinguishes 5 subtypes:
- 1. disorganized
- 2. catatonic
- 3. paranoid
- 4. undifferentiated
- 5. residual
5 subtypes of dsm
- a. charaterized by confusion, incoherence, and flat or inappropriate affect
- b. psychomotor disturbances
- c. symptoms which fit no subype; vague category
- d. symptoms which have lessened in strength and number;person may continue to disply blunted or inappropriate emotions.
the bilogical view: what is Diathesis-Stress
- - suggests a biological predisposition to schizophrenia
- - triggered by later exposure to stress
- - more common among realtives with people with S.
- An inflexible pattern of inner experiences and outward behavior.
subtypes of PD
- A) Dramatic
- social withdraw, and peculiar ways of thinking and perceiving. Schizophrenia
Odd PD subtypes
- PD, Schizoid PD, Schizotypal PD
- are emotional & erratic. Diff. relationships/ unsatisfying
- anxious and fearful behavior
- avoidance of social relatihosp and limited emo. Expression. More men than
- Women. Seen as cold/flat
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview