Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Matter that is closely packed together and regularly arranged is in the _____ state.
The particles in gas are _____.
very far apart
Evaporation is the process of going from _____.
liquid to gas
_____ are easily compressed.
_____ are very rigid
Water _____ to ice.
Solid iodine _____ to gas iodine.
As a rubber band is stretched, _____ energy is increased.
How would decreasing the concentration affect the pressure?
How would increasing the pressure affect the volume?
How would increasing the temperature affect the pressure?
N= 7 protons, 7 neutrons, 7 electrons
Na= 11 protons, 11 neutrons, 12 electrons
Shorthand: Flourine (F) with atomic number 9 and atomic mass 18.998
- 9 protons
- 9 neutrons
- 10 electrons
Shorthand: Hydrogen (H) with atomic number 1 and atomic mass 1.0079
- 1 proton
- 1 neutron
- 0 electrons
Oxygen has a valance number of 8. How many valance electrons does oxygen have?
6 valance electrons
Nitrogen has a valance number of 7. How many valance electrons does nirtogen have?
5 valance electrons
potassium ion (K+) + iodide (I-)
sodium ion (2 Na+) + carbonate (CO3^2-)
calcium ion(Ca+) + chloride (2Cl-)
sodium ion (3 Na+) + phosphate (PO4^3-)
How many neutrons in:
The element oxygen with atomic number 8 has _____ valance electrons.
Which subatomic particle carries a positive charge:
The _____ bond is when _____ electrons are shared between two atoms.
Single covalent (bond); (2 electrons)
Draw a hydrocarbon chain of 4 carbons.
- H H H H
- l l l l
- l l l l
- H H H H
Review hydrogencarbon ring of 5 carbons
A hydrocarbon of 3 carbons with all single bonds will contain _____ hydroganes
A 3% glucose solution contains 3g of glucose in _____ mL of solution.
Which is an example of a molecule with a carboxyl functional group?
An example of a molecule that is hydrophobic is:
- (1) An ion such as Cl-
- (2) A hydrocarbon such as benzene C6H6
The hydrogen bond is formed between _____.
The hydrogen of one water molecule & the oxygen of another
When H2SO4 is diluted in water, the following occurs:
H2SO4 --> 2H+ + SO4-Therefore, the H2SO4 is an acid because:
Two H+ ions are released
A solution of pH 7 has a concentration of H+ of _____ and is _____.
10-7 : neutral
Buffers are substances which help resist shifts in pH by _____.
Releasing hydrogen ions in basic solutions
Enzyme speed up the rate of reactions by _____.
Decreasing the Energy of Activation
A catabolic reaction _____.
Releases energy that is captured as ATP
You are looking for a competitive inhibitor for an enzyme. There for you are looking for a molecule that:
Will bind in the active site of the enzyme
Which of the following will change that rate of reaction for an enzyme?
- (1) change the pH of the solution
- (2) changing the temperature of the reaction
- (3) Changing the concentration of substrate
The sequence of homeostatic control are:
Receptor --> Control Center --> Effector
Which factors will speed p the rate of diffusion of molecules
- Increasing the temperature
- Increasing the concentration of the molecules
- Moving from a solid to a liquid state of moleculesMoving from a liquid to a gas state of molecules
Which statements are true for RBCs placed in water?
- Water will enter the cells causing swelling
- The cells are hypertonic compared to the water outside
- There is net movement of water across the cell membraneThis process does not require energy in the form of ATP
Passive & active transport of molecules across membranes are accomplished by what kinds of molecules?
Which statements are true for active transport?
- Molecules move from an area of lower concentration to higher concentration
- Molecules move up the concentration gradient
- The process requires ATPIons pumps are usually used
DNA polymerase is that molecules that will:
Replicate DNA in the nucleus of eukaryotesUse the parent strand of DNA as a template
Which is true regarding RNA?
- RNA is transcribed from DNA
- RNA has ribose & phosphate in its backbone
- RNA is single strandedRNA uses the nucleotides A, C, G, U
During translation, the antidote on a(n) _____ pairs with the codon on mRNA.
The products of translation are:
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview