NBDE Questions 1985 test
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Describe the following:
1. Pharyngeal Tonsils
2. Palatine tonsils
3. Lingual tonsils
- non-encapsulated secondary immune system
- 1. no lymph, sinuses, crypts
- - surrounded by connective tissue and epithelium that forms deep infoldings (ciliated pseudostratified columnar epithelium)
- - adenoids can block airflow
- 2. crypts and lymphoid follicles, no sinuses
- - covered partly by connective tissue and partly by epithelium (non-keratinized stratified squamous)
- 3. lymphoid follicles, each with single crypt
- - covered w// non-keratinized stratified squamous epithelium; partially surrounded by connective tissue
What is the source of NADPH?
What biological processes is it needed for?
- 1. FA and steroid synthesis
- 2. glutathione reduction inside RBCs (protects from radicals and hydrogen peroxide)
The secretion of which of the following endocrine glands is NOT essential to life?
B) Adrenal cortex
C) Pancreatic islets (Langerhans)
D) Anterior pituitary
E) Adrenal medulla
E) adrenal medulla
(this multiple choice question has been scrambled)
What is a striated duct?
- - (intralobular duct) gland duct that connects intercalated duct w/ the interlobular duct
- - characterized by basal infoldings on basal surface of plasma membrane
- - found in submandibular and parotid gland
- - A LOT of mitochondria on basal surface
- - Along with the intercalated ducts, they function to modify salivary fluid by secreting HCO3-and K+ and reabsorbing Na+ and Cl- using the Na-K pump and the Cl-HCO3 pump.
The alternate loosening and tightening of a primary tooth that is about to be shed results from
A) alternate resorption and apposition of cementum and bone.
B) alternate softening and hardening of alveolar bone proper.
C) labial movement of the developing permanent tooth.
D) lack of a developing permanent successor.
A deficiency of vitamin A in a developing tooth most likely affects the
Which of the following enzymes catalyzes the formation of uric acid from purines?
A) Xanthine oxidase
C) Aspartate transcarbamylase
D) Carbamyl phosphate synthetase
Long bones of the skeleton increase in length because of
A) interstitial growth in the cartilaginous epiphyseal plate
.B) resorption of primary bone by osteoclasts.
C) mitotic division of osteocytes.
D) mitotic division of osteoblasts.
E) appositional growth on the cartilaginous epiphyseal plate
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview