Us History wars
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
No european recolonization in latin america, any would be consisdered a direct attack to us
U.S. wll pay debts of the latin american countries, no reasons for europeans to interfere
Taking advantage of stories to get people to think in your favor
his idea to build up navy
Explosion of this U.S. ship killed 100s of Americans. Start of "A splendid little war".
U.S. had equal access to china's millions of consumers
Open door policy
withdrew troops from cuba
necessary to build so U.S. could travel through
maintaing orderly societies abroad by increasing u.s. investment in foreign economics
control over another country
policy involved aggressively building up a nations armed forces in preparation for war
-military gained moe authority
readying the troops
U-boat changed the rules of naval warfare
Civilian cuise liner sunk by German U-boats
-carrying brittish war goods
Pres. who wanted to keep U.S. out of ww1
a secret offer to mexico from germany intercepted by the british
consisted of groups of unarmed ships surronded by a ring of destroyers, two pedo boats and other armed naval vessels
recommended U.S. focus more on air force then navy
U.S., England, and russia to workout future of germany, and poland
-disputes over polands gov
Unconditional surender announced; Truman got word Abomb successfully tested
The Potsdam conference
represented communist domination and oppression
soviet agency by stalin
america's foriegn policy after ww2 w/ comuninism
assumes every nation wants democracy, guided u.s. into cold war
the truman doctrine
S.U. foriegn policy to protect communism
the brezhev doctrine
a program of economic recovery from ww1
moved supplies into west berlin by plane
north atlantic treaty organization
idea of mutual millitary assistance
- soviet unions responce
- -a military alliance w/ its satellite nations
federal civil defence administation
gave info on how to survive a nuclear attck
dividing line of the koreas
- a hero of 2 ww / anti communist
- fired for insubordination
sentator of WI accused 205 people of being communist
Suez crises of 1956
Eygpt seized British canal, After aid cut off
Gamal Abdel Nassar
an eygption ruler at time of suez canal crises
The rio pact
a regional defence allince with 18 other ntions n the wetern hemisphere
prepared to risk war to protect its national interests
Bay of Pigs Invasion
- April 17th, total disaster
- US failed in invading cuba
- official postponement of their call to serve.
- offered to college students.
President Johnson's War
"You see, the communists will rule the world , and if we don't step up to them they will do it."
Articles based on a classified govt study of u.s. involvement in the vietnam war
- Killed the leaves in the jungle.
- -elephant grass tall with razor sharp edges
- CBS news reporter
- "To say that we are mired in stalemate seems the only realistic, yet unsatisfactory, conclusion."
Selective Service System
college students who ranked low could be drafted.
General William C. Westmoreland
"I do not see now the enemy can long sustain [his] heave losses."
A conference when vietnam divided into two seperate nations.
My Lai Massacre
all prisoners killed - ordered by lieutenant William l. Calley Jr.
Ngo Dinh Diem
- South Vietnam leader
- -Put in place by U.S.
- Lacked support
- elected in 1968
- reduced amount of troops in Vietnam
General Earie G Wheeler
"...We are winning the war in vietnam but Hanoi is still not ready to give up."
Ohio's Kent state University, 1970
Campus violence, National Guard opened fired on school protestors, four killed.
Democratic Society (SDS)
- declaration of Huron Statement.
- Principles and goals.
- Mostly written by Tom Hayden
- raids drop 1000s of tons of explosives over large areas
- -destroyed North Vietnam
The Free Speech Movement
- Students fought for free speech arrested
- Strikes- stopped attending classes.
- Kennedy's closet advisor
- -helped shape policies that drew U.S. deeper into war
- "More training wouldn't strengthen them' therefore we should get out."
term for when Nixon removed troops from vietnam
Ho Chi Minh Trail
a supply route that passed through Loas and Cambodia
Wall Street Journal
"We think the american people should be getting ready to accept... the prospect that the whole vietnam effort may be doomed."
a destructive Jelly-like "fire bomb"
- Sect. of Defense
- "A new strategy must be sought."
- Mostly wrote the declaration of Huron Statement
- "We are people of this generation we seek the establishment of a democracy of individual participation."
- credited for the turn about in johnson's policies
- suggested Johnson meet with "wise-men"
The Viet Cong
- name given by Diem
- -Communist guerillas in the South
- New political movement,
- Believed problems such as poverty and racism called for radical changes.
The teach in movement
teach a special night session in which issues concerning the war could be aired
people who refused to be drafted in first half of 1960s
Gulf of Tonkin Resolution
gave president control over what U.S. did in vietnam
took photo of suspected viet-cong member being executed by S.V. national police chief
The tet offensive
- Surprise attacks by N.V. and V.C. on major cities and towns. On a vietnam holiday. U.S. barely won
- Major turning point
Harry C. McPherson
"Fed up with light at the end of the tunnel"
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview