Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Defined as: Wealth, respect, a good job & family, a house in suburbs...
The strain of the American Dream
Not everyone has equal access to education & job
Opportunities are differentially distributed throughout society
Social stratification is a system whcih ranks ppl in a hierarcy
- * Not individual ineptitude or effort.
- * Social mobility - changing positions in hierarch
- * Involves not just inequality abut beliefs
U.S. Class Distribution:
- Capitalis (1%) $500K & up
- Lowr rich (4%) 250K
- Upper- Mid Class (11%) 90-150K
- Lower Middle class (32%) 35-75K
- Working class (32%) 16-30K
- Working poor (13%) 10-20K
- Underclass (7%) under 10K
- ** 2009 median annual household income was $50,832
Social class in the United States:
- US has largest gap btwn the rich & poor
- A family of 4 making $36,800 does not have enough to provide for basic necessities
- Federal poverty rate is $18,400 for 4 ppl
- Burdens of poverty falls most heavily on children (35% of poor in US are children)
- Worlds largest retailer, food seller, and pharmacy
- Worlds largest public Corporation
- Worlds largest private employer
- 38% have health insurance
- Avrg hr wage: $8.23 vs union wage: $11.35
- 65% of workforce are women
- 67% of Management are men
Walmart & Communities:
For a 200 employee store, the federal gov't is spending:
- $108K a yr for children healthcare
- $125K a yr in tax credit ded
- $42K a yr in housing assistance
- On avrg gov't adds upto $420K a yr for Federal Tax payers per store.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview