The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Poole harbour users
- There are about 18 different users within poole harbour and 4000 boats using the harbour at peak times.
- oil drilling and service boats opparate between the islands
- poole is a commercial port with cross channel ferries to cherbourg
- An aquatic management plan where different water uses are zoned and quiet areas are encouraged
- Assumes that all users will stick to the zoning regulations
- Who manages/polices it costly solution
- Educates the public on the benefits of zoning
Watersports - birdwatching
- A range of watersports takes place here as well as bird watching, angling and wildfowl shooting
- Encourage small boats and windsurfers to go out to sea rather than stay in the harbour
- Management schemes assume that people will adhere to the rules
- More developments will increase threats to the natural enviroment
- Regular management meeting of interested parties such as local councils, Poole harbour commisioners and conservation groups.
- Potentially very effective beacause all groups are represented. however it is very diffiicult to get full agreement.
- Leisure sport boats and yachts have moorings located in the harbour
- Build more marinas which are safer than swinging moorings e.g. the proposed marina at Fisherman's dock
- Marina's are a costly situation and may spoil scenenic areas.
- Fees may increase which may put visiters off.
- 20,000 visitors can be on Studland beach on a hot summer's day
- Bring people into Studland on ferries from nearby towns.
- Try to set up a poop scoop scheme to stop dogs fouling the beaches
- Place litter bins on paths and back of beaches and increase number of toilets
- Stops some traffic congestion although costs money for ferries
- Poop scoop scheme make people use bins and the bins reduce rubbish. Although they may attract animals
- Decreased use of dunes as toilets helps environment although toilets need to be evenly spaced