The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
1) A quantity, such as the velocity of an object or the force acting on an object.
2) An organism, such as a mosquito or tick, that spreads pathogens from one host to another
3) A bacteriophage, plasmid, or other agent that transfers genetic material from one cell to another
- carriers of pathogens
What must happen for a pathogen to be transmitted by a mosquito vector:
- The pathogen must migrate to the mosquito salivary gland and replicate there.
- Only the Anopheles species of mosquito can transmit malaria
- The female bites
How do lice remain attached to their host:
- Legs, claws, and teeth that are adapted to grasp
Name a disease transmitted by flea vectors:
Name a disease transmitted by Tick vectors:
- - lyme
- - Rocky Mountain spotted fever
Name a disease transmitted by Mosquito vectors:
Name a disease transmitted by lice vectors:
- Trench fever
- Relapsing fever
Name a disease transmitted by mite vectors:
- Allergic reactin (rash/itch)
How do mites directly cause disease:
- Burrow into the skin and induce an intense allergic response.
Name 2 organisms, their diseases, and the tick vectors that spread them:
1) Dermacentor andersoni; transmitts Rickettsia rickettsit (Rocky Mountain spotted fever)
2) Ixodes scapularis; transmitt Borreliaburgdorferi (Lyme Disease)