The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Are amniotes a monophyletic group?
Mammals have what type of skull?
Lizards, snakes, turtles, crocodiles & birds have what type of skull?
What type of skull was the ancestral form?
What was the function of the temporal fenestra?
muscle attatchment associated with elevating the mandible
What are the adatations of amniotes?
- 1. tough (Beta-keratin) water-resistant skin (lipids)
- 2. Amniotic egg
- 3. internal fertilization & copulatory organs
- 4. lungs w/ more surface area & aspirated with ribs and associated with muscles
- 5. efficient & flexible cardiovascular system
- 6.uric acid excretion
Why is having Amniotic eggs beneficial of amniotes?
allows terrestrials reproduction, faster growing & longer embryo, mineral storage & support
Turtles belong to what order?
Incomplete seperation of __________ allows for ___ bypass when diving or in dormancy
cardiovascular system, lung
How is sex determined in turtles?
warm temps produce females and colder temps produce males
What order and class do lizards and snakes belong too?
Class reptillia, order squamata
what are some differences in snakes and lizards?
- lizards: moveable eyelid, external ear opening, limbs
- snakes: no limbs, no eyelid