Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Vitamin part of the coenzyme TPP in which assists in energy metabolism. TPP coenzymes in the conversion of pyruvate to acetyl CoA. Thiamin occupies a
- special site on the membranes of the nervous cell.
Part of coenzymes FMN (flavin mononucleotide) and FAD (flavin adenine dinucleotide) used in energy metabolism
Coenzyme (energy metabolism)- NAD/ NADP, NAD protects against neurological degeneration.
- Ccoenzyme carrying activated carbon dioxide necessary for maintenace of energy metabolism (coenzyme a), storage of carbohydrates (gluconeogenesis, and
- breakdown of of certain fatty acids and proteins)
Pantothenic acid function?
Chemicalstructure of coenzyme A. Involved in 100 different steps in synthesis of lipids, neurotransmitters, steroid hormones, and hemoglobin.
Vitamin B6 function?
- for non-essential amino acid metabolism, energy metabolism (break down of glycogen), part of coenzymes PLP (pyridoxal phosphate and PMP (pyridoxiamin phosphate)used in amino acid and fatty acid metabolism; helps to convert tryptophan to niacin and to serotonin; helps to make red blood cells.
Folic acid function?
- Coenzyme forms THF, in which serves as part of an enzyme complex that transfers one carbon compounds that arise during metabolism. DHF used in DNA synthesis and therefore important in cell formation.
- Amino acid metabolism- foods deliver folate mostly in “bound” form combined with a string of amino acids known as polyglutamate.
- Synthesis of DNA- needed for rapidly growing cells in embryo, rapid cell turnover in digestive tract, red blood cells
Vitamin B12 function?
- Coenzyme (convert folic acid to active folic acid) for DNA synthesis/amino acid synthesis
- Maintains sheath around nerves
Vitamin C function?
- It is an antioxidant.
- Cofactor for enzymes and works with iron.
- It also donates electrons and hydrogens. It neutralizes free radicals breaking by normal metabolism.
- Produces collagen- structure protein to make tissue. Also, produces hormones- serotonin.
- Production of thyroxin hormones.
- Break down of fatty acids and helps our immune system.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview