art hist test 3
Card Set Information
art hist test 3
passage around the Aspe in a basilican plan church
Semi-cirucular or polygonal recess, Especially at the east end of a church.
a Mass of masonry used to strengthen a wall and to counter the thrust of an arch , vault , EXT.
Part of a church reserved for the clergy and singer, usually part of a chancel.
intersection of nave and transept.
Main body of a church accommodating a the congregation.
part of the church at right angles of the Nave
A doorway, an entrance, or a gate, especially one that is large and imposing
In a church, projecting chapels arranged radially around theambulatory of a semicircular or polygonal liturgical east end.
Bands or mouldings (moldings, Am.) surrounding an arched opening.
One of the wedge-shaped blocks forming the curved parts of an arch or vault.
The triangular recessed face of a pediment, Spaced enclose by a lintel and an arch over a door way
One of a pair of vertical posts or pieces forming the sides of a door, window frame or fireplace.
A frame colum
1. The approximtely triangular shape between the curve of an arch and the rectangular frame above it
2. The approximtely triangular shape between two arches and the horizontal line that runs above them
Composed of or divided into three parts.
An upper story row of windows; part of an interior wall rising above the adjacent roof with windows admitting light
The arcade which is seen in many vaulted churches below the clerestory.
1. An elevated section of the seating area of a building for public worship or auditorium
2. An elevated area, interior or exterior, e.g., minstrel gallery, music gallery, roof gallery
3. A long, covered area acting as a corridor
4. A room (or building), top lit, used for the display of art works
A series of arches supported by pillars, piers or Columns.