US History Presidents
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
"Father of the Constitution"
- -Domestic affairs took a backseat to foreign affairs
- -War of 1812
- -Most successful and possibly the most influential of all the Founding Fathers.
"The Last Cocked Hat"
- -After war of 1812 economy was booming allowing him to focus toward domestic issues
- -Took three national tours.
- -Panic of 1819: first major depression to hit the country
- -Missouri Compromise
- -Florida sold to US
- -Monroe Doctrine
- -His Aggressive and successful conduct of foreign policy undoubtedly strengthened the presidency itself.
John Q Adams
"Old Man Eloquent"
- -Support the "American System" proposed by Henry Clay
- -Wanted to improve US infrastructure
- - achieved little of consequence in foreign affairs as president
- -considered to have been a failure as a president
- -Independent Treasury Act of 1846
- -Extension of slavery into new American Territories
- -Annexation of Texas
- -War with Mexico
- - Treaty of New Granada
- -Left the nation facing its greatest political and social crisis since the American Revolution.
- Became known hero after war of 1812
- "The common man"
- A fighter
- Sick during presidency (a lead bullet)
The corrupt election
The corrupt bargain
Adams won number of votes. But Jackson one the number of electoral votes.
practice of rewarding government supporters with government jobs
The bank crises
with the use of veto, Jackson determined to destroy the american banks. In 1836 the bank charter expired for good.
- States threatened to secede (leave the union) because of the high tariffs being passed.
- -Jackson could not support this.
The Whig Party
- new party
- able to capture white house with William Henry Harrison
- Made use of idea that power and success were available to everyone.
- Industrialize (Need a diverse economy)
- Strong Central Government
- Agrarian society
- Pro States Rights
- ex.Jefferson/madison/monroe/John Q adams
- Anti Bank (veto)
- Agrarian Society
- Pro States rights Except: Ged gov wins over nullification.
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview