Nutrition Exam Number 4
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
Substantial Health Benefits
Gained by 30-60 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise per day
More Extensive Benefits
Gained by 1 hour or more of moderate-intensity exrcise per day
How long can glycogen in muscle and liver maitain low moderate-intensity exercise?
About one hour
Two reasons that you need protein in the diet for moderate-intensity exercise program.
- 1. Some used for energy during exercise
- 2. Helps repair damage muscle tissue.
Why hydration is important during exercise? Is that all you need?
body mostly made of water. cannot lose no more than 2%. Taking in electrolytes to replenish blood sugar.
Nausea, weakness, profuse sweating, dehydration
nausea, confusion, irritability, poor coordination, seizures, coma.
can be fatel.
Eating disorders common in male or females? why?
Females, because they are more concern about how they look.
eating very little food a day.
Eating food then throwing it all up.
Female Athlete Triad
appearance-based and endurance sports
Eating on unusual schedules.
Night Eating Syndrome.
Eating large about of calories after evening meal.
Need to eat to help fall asleep.
Compulsive Overeating/Binge Eating
addiction to food.Eating large amounts of food.
Eating non-food items.
Congenitial hypothalamus condition that causes complusive eating.
Sleep Eating Disorder.
Eating while sleeping.
Most health problems of anorexia are caused by...
others health problems of bulimia are caused by...(2 things)
inadequate nourishment. Easier to detect
vomiting and lacative abuse. Dentist are likely to spot.
The burden of undernutrition mostly felt where?
amoung children. 37% (12 million)
physiological state that results when not enough food is eaten to meet energy needs.
Food Supply unsufficient to meet needs of a population.
Condition of impaired development or funtion caused by deficiency or excess.
Excess amount of food leading to over consumption and poor food choices
Extreme shortage of food leading to massive starvation in a population.
Condition of anxiety about running out of food or money to guy food.
Two reasons directly explain the difference between rich and poor nations or 30+ year lfe expectancy.
What are they? and the indirect differences?
Access to food and access to health care services.
Two factors that cause undernutrition?
Food Quantity and food quality (e.g, vitamins and minerals)
What dangerous cycle makes matters in developing nations even worse than just some difficulty in feeding people a good diet?
State of beinf undernutition.
What is the main difference between developing countries and rish countries that distinguishes most of the people having access to good food?
- Overabundance of unskilled workers
- Low-paying service jobs
- Massive lay-offs/unemployment
- Increase in number of single parents families.
If a familis is poor and finds id dfifficult to get food, why do poor people have so many children?
- Larger family size ensures longevity of the family
- Cultural and religious beliefs
- Inadequate access to contraceptives
what is the other thing that poor people in developing nations have access to for a healthy diet?
- School lunch program
- food stamps
- school breakfast program
What disease is having a huge negative impact on the ability of people to get good nutrition is the developing world?
What should rich countries like the US do to help the developing nations?
- Increase economic opportunities for women
- Promote technologies for small farmers
- Supplement indigenous foods with nutrients
- Promote extensive land-ownership
- Raise economic status through employment
What is a GMO? How do you get them? What good are they? Are they the permanent solution to world hunger issues?
Genetically modified Organism. Cross-breeding plants/animals generally to make plants resistant to disease, pest, etc.
Why are microbes harmful?
Infection: Bacteria invade intestinal wall via toxin contained in organism.
Toxic Substances (Intoxication): Bacteria produce toxin that is secreted into food.
What is GRAS?
Generally Recognized As Safe
What can you do to your exposure to environmental toxins.
- Know what food pose a risk
- Practice moderation and variety
- Remove outer leaves and for non-organic frutis and veggies, remove the peel.
- Wash fruits and vege
- Opt for smaller fish
- Avoid areas treated with pesticides
What can you do to avoid microbes while shopping at the grocery store?
- Buy frozen, perishable foods last.
- Place meats in separate plastic bags
- Don't buy dented cans
- Buy only pasteurized dairy
- Buy what you need
- Avoid buying slimy, brownish, or dry produce.
What can you ado to avoid microbes while at home?
- Wash hands
- Keep counters, cutting boards, equipment clean and sanitized.
- Prepare raw meat seprately
- That foods in cold running water
- use refrigerated meat in 1-2 days; frozen in 3-4 months.
Maintain your refrigerator below what temperature?
< 41 degrees
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview