Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
An indegenous tribe who confronted the Dutch when they first arrived in South Africa.
Developed the Zulu empire
Site of the worst British defeat in South Africa.
Place where Dutch established trading posts in the 1600's.
The Great Trek
Movement of Dutch desendants North and East of Capetown in 1838
This mission was successfully defended during Zulu war by British troops.
Transval and the Orange Free States
Independant states created by the Dutch.
This war was fought between desendants of Dutch and British colonizers.
Leader of a movement in South Africa called Black Concousness.
Lawyer for the ANC, jailed for 27 years in South Africa before becoming president.
Native Land Act of 1913
- This law created reserves for Blacks and prohibited the sale of White territory for Blacks and vice versa.
- White people got 80% of the land while Blacks got 20%.
- Black people could live outside reserves only if they could prove that they were employed by Whites.
- According to debates in Parliament, the Act was passed in order to limit friction between White and Black, but Blacks maintained that its aim was to meet demands from White farmers for more agricultural land and force Blacks to work as labourers.
Group Area Act of 1950
- Created April 27th, 1950 (Recognized as "Freedom Day" now in South Africa)
- Created to split racial groups up into different residential areas of any given town or city.
- White people lived in the most developed, best areas while blacks, Indians, and colored people were assigned to more rural areas on the outskirts.
- Anyone living in the "wrong" area was required to move, or be moved.
- The only exceptions made were for non-whites who worked within the white suburbs.
Population Registration Act of 1950
- Required people to be identified and registered from birth as one of the four racial groups:
- Bantu (Black African)
- Race was reflected in the Identity Number.
- Racial groups based on nose measurements, the Pencil Test, etc.
Reservation of Seperate Ammenities Act of 1953
- Made white and colored people use seperate public facilities.
- Included public transportation, stores, resteraunts, etc.
- Also had different benches, water fountains, restrooms, etc.
- Aim to elliminate all White and Non-White contact.
- Non-Whites found in White places were usually forcably removed before being asked to leave.
ouCriminal Law Ammendmant of 1953
Made anyone that adviced, aided, encourages, incites, or commands any other person who protests against the law and passive resistance illegal.
- Made after non-violent campaign created by ANC and South African Indian Congress.
- Protests were against Aparthied Laws: Group Areas Act, Stock Limitation Act, Suppresion of Communism Act, Seperate Representation of Voters Act, Bantu Authorities Act, and the Natives Abolition of Passes & Cordination of Document Act.
After a day of protesting at a police station in South Africa, police opened fire on the crowd, killing 69 people and injuring 180.
After making a law saying that the Afrikaan language was going to be taught at schools, students protested.
- Protests were organized just outside of Johannesburg on June 16 1976.
- Over 20,000 students showed up, and they were followed closely by police.
- After releasing teargas on them, they opened fire on the students, around 176 killed and many more injured.
A national liberation movement created in 1912 to unite African people and to create political, social and economic change.
1994 Presidential Elections
Nelson Mandella won the Presidential Elections, creating a huge change.