Chapter 29 Questions on Study Guide
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
what are the key characteristics of the kingdom Plantea?
- - Make their own food
- - Possess chloroplasts
- Most plants are terrestrial
- Are multicellular eukaryotes
- Cell walls of cellulose
Which group of protists are the closest relatives of land plats?
green algea relatives are algea called charophytes.
What is the evidence that this group comprises the closest relatives of plants?
- similarities in cellulose synthesis
- perioxisome enzymes common in both groups.
- the stucture of flagellated sperm is similar
- The formation of a phragmoplast prior to cell plate formation during cell division
What are the structural, functional, and reproductive adaptations plants have for living on land?
- leaf performs photosynthesis.
waxy cuticle prevents dessication
shoot supports plant
surrounding water supports algea
whole alga performs photosyntesis; absorbs H2O, CO2 and minerals from water.
roots anchor the plant and absorb water and minerals.
3 groups of bryophytes?
- Hepatophyta ( Liverworts)
- Anthocerophyta (hornworts)
- bryophyta (mosses)
Key characteristics that separate the brophytes from the vascular plants.
What are some adaptations bryophytes possess for living on land?
- a waxy cuticle
- the retention of developing embryos within the mom's gametangium.
primitive characteristics of bryophytes
- need water to reproduce (possess sperm)
- lack roots
- have NO vascular tissue and lignin
life cycle of a bryophyte
Gametophytes: larger and longer lived than sporophytes.
Sporophytes dependent on ( grow on gametopyte).
2 phyla comprising the seedless vascular plants?
phylum lycophyta (club mosses, quillworts)
phylum pterophyta (ferns)
Key characteristics of vascular plants?
- life cycles with dominant sporophytes
- vascualr tissues
- well developed roots and leaves.
key characteristics of seedless vascular plants?
have a vascular system but dont produce seeds.
sperm must swim through water to fertilize eggs.
need moist habitat.
key characteristics of ferns
most diverse seedless vascular plant
life cycle of a typical fern
ecological and economic importance of bryophytes and seedless vascular plants.
retention of soil nitrogen
- fuel, soil conditioner
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview