Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
Explain Social Darwinism
- 19th century theory based of survival of the fittest.
- made popular in US by Richard Hofstadter
- Used to justify social polices witch make no distinction b/w those able to support themselves and those not able to support themselves.
Who were the knights of labor?
- was the largest and one of the most important American labor organizations established in 1869
- Its most important leader was Terence Powderly.
- The Knights promoted the social and cultural uplift of the workingman
rejected Socialism and radicalism, demanded the eight-hour day, and promoted the producers ethic of republicanism.
What was the panic of 1893?
- Stock market collapse following the failures of the Reading Railroad and the National Cordage Company
- Date: February-May, 1893
- Some investors were left holding securities that proved to be essentially worthless, because the companies holding title to the assets had filed for bankruptcy; only investors with extraordinarily deep pockets could work their way through these price adjustments.
What was “The Square Deal?”
The Square Deal was President Theodore Roosevelt's domestic program formed upon three basic ideas: conservation of natural resources, control of corporations, and consumer protection. Thus, it aimed at helping middle class citizens and involved attacking plutocracy and bad trusts while at the same time protecting business from the extreme demands of organized labor.
What precipitated the Cold War?
- The Cold War was the most important political and diplomatic issue of the later half of the 20th Century. The main Cold War enemies were the United States and the Soviet Union. The Cold war got its name because both sides were afraid of fighting each other directly because they both had nuculear wepons
- The Cold War grew out of longstanding conflict between the Soviet Union and the United States that developed after the Russian Revolution of 1917. The Soviet Communist Party considered itself the spearhead of an international movement that would replace the existing political orders in the West, and indeed throughout the world.
Why did America get involved in Vietnam
The United States entered the war to stop the spread of Communism in Southeast Asia. American leaders feared that Communist forces would gain control of Vietnam. After that, nation after nation might fall to Communism. Communism is a political and economic system that the United States strongly opposed. Vietnam had been split in half in 1954, after fighting a war to gain independence from France. When French forces withdrew, Vietnamese Communists gained control of North Vietnam. Ho Chi Minh was the leader of the North Vietnamese Communists. South Vietnam had a non-Communist government. This government was weak. But the United States supported it in order to keep the Communists from taking control of all of Vietnam.
Why Did President Regan say “Tear down that wall?”
- was the challenge from United States President Ronald Reagan to Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev to destroy the Berlin Wall.
- In a speech at the Brandenburg Gate near the Berlin Wall on June 12, 1987, commemorating the 750th anniversary of Berlin, Reagan challenged Gorbachev (who was then the General Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union), to tear it down as a symbol of Gorbachev's desire for increasing freedom in the Eastern Bloc.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview