THEORY II FINAL REVIEW!
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
which patients are good candidates for a power toothbrush? 6
- ortho patient
- physical disability
- prostho (implants, bridge)
- agressive brushers
what are 5 patient instructions about a power toothbrush?
- use first before recommending to a patient (evidence--based research)
- patient dexterity
- timer/pressure sensor (low end do not have this)
- demonstrate in office if possible
- advise need for practice (need to use it!)
t/f baking soda on its own as a toothpaste is very abrasive
what would cause scuffed epithelial surface?
brushing too hard (abrasion on gums)
what does a punctate lesion from?
pinpoint lesion (brushing to hard or hard bristles)
what are 3 ACUTE alterations needed from toothbrush trauma?
- scuffed epithelial surface
- punctate lesion
- diffuse/reddness/denuded attached gingiva
what is diffuse redness/denuded attached gingiva?
gingiva that has been worn down
what are 3 causes of toothbrush trauma from horizontal or vertical scrubbing?
- excess pressure
- abrasive dentrifice (baking soda)
- frayed toothbrush
brushing too hard all the time is a ________ alteration
rolled, bulbous, hard marginal gingiva
gingival cleft -brushing too hard
facial gingiva-brush the front more than lingual
R/L handed brusher- more trauma on one side
these are all ________ ________ or toothbrush trauma
when the margin has moved apically and the root surface is exposed = _______ _______
what is a remedy of old toothbrushing habits using one toothbrush all the time?
- switch to a soft toothbrush
- use correct technique
filament ends not rounded are causes of ______ _____
what are the remedies of dental abrasion? 3
- discuss and educate patient on change
- change tb/method
- milder dentrifice/smaller amount
pt assessment includes what four things?
- personal history of care
- dental and gingival anatomy
- dental biofilm
- personal factors
what are 2 personal factors to consider for a patient?
- handicap or disability
- knowledge and appreciation about interdental
what are the objective of the dental hygiene care plan? 3
- appropriate aids
- teach pt
- modivate pt
what is the initial plan of the dental hygiene care plan?
- simplest plan
- refine goal as oral care increases
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview