Pharm Ch. 31
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What does the thyroid do?
- Control metabolism
- Promote normal growth and development
What does the parathyroid do?
- Regulates Ca++ homeostasis
- Maintains normal bone mineralization
How are thyroid hormones synthesized?
- Adding iodine to residues of the aa tyrosine
- Add 1 iodine atom= monoiodotyrosine
- Add 2 iodine atoms= diiodotyrosine
- T3: monoiodotyrosine + diiodotyrosine
- T4: diiodotyrosine + diiodotyrosine
What suggests that T4 is a precursor to T3?
- T3 may exert most of the physiologic effects on tissues
- (conversion occurs in peripheral tissues)
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview