What are the general characteristics of fungi? Cell wall? Cell membrane? Use oxygen or not? Where does it get nutrients? Why do we see more fungal infections?
- A. Eukaryotic cells
- B. ALL have cell walls - often composed of chitin and glucan.
- C. Cell membranes has ergosterol instead of cholesterol (as a sterol).
- D. MOST are aerobes - some are facultative NONE are obligate anaerobe.
- E. In nature fungi are saprobes - get nutrients from decomposition.
- F. With more ppl having immunosuppression, we have more fungal opportunistic infections.