The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Recognize the benefit and the danger of structure. (Sect. 21)
- The Benefit / Danger of Structure
- 1. Order / infrastructure is a good and necessary thing
- 2. The problem with organization: it is designed to serve but loves to rule
Recognize the key principles in using structure to serve.
- -All structure is designed to empower in a determined direction (i.e. like banks on a river). Therefore, it must be aligned with your vision and values to be helpful.
- -Minimal is optimal (achieving simplicity without being simplistic requires great depth of thought and careful preparation and discipline
- -The best structure creates a free but focused system that empowers people together toward their shared vision (i.e. organizational priorities)
- -Our goal is reproducible systems where carefully planned and implemented structures result in a simple, accessible “program” that anyone can thrive within and reproduce (i.e., Wesley versus Whitfield)
Recognize the important considerations for ministry programs (in-reach and outreach) and training programs.
- 1.Ministry programs: “in-reach” and “outreach”
- “In-reach” programs
- Our only long-term hope is to create a mentoring/counseling community
- “Outreach” programs
- By far the most effective approach in evangelism is relationship within one’s sphere of influence. Therefore the focus of outreach structures should centre on:
- -Enhancing relational connections
- -Overcoming hesitancy
- -Learning how to communicate the Gospel
- 3.Training programs
- These are a process of discipling/mentoring that involve both formation and information. An optimal approach to training should centre on:
- 3.1.1. Focused, accountable friendship
- 3.1.2. A “just in time” / “need to know” method brings the right information at just the right times.