The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
The stage of social and emotional development that Erikson believed was typically experienced during young adulthood
Intimacy versus Isolation: in Erikson’s theory, the sixth stage of social & emotional development, in which young adults either make commitments to others or face a possible sense of isolation and consequent self absorption.
The stage of social and emotional development that Erikson believed was typically experienced during middle adulthood
Generativity versus Stagnation: in Erikson’s theory, the seventh stage of social & emotional development, in which the middle-aged adult develops a concern with establishing, guiding, and influencing the next generation or else experiences stagnation (a sense of inactivity or lifelessness).
EVERYTHING we said in relation to the "Life Structure" and the "Dream" in young adulthood
- Life Structure: the underlying pattern of a person’s life at a given time, built on whatever aspects of life the person finds most important.
- Dream: one’s hopes about what one wishes to achieve in the future, part of the entry phase of young adulthood.
- --Enter: Dream (established near the end of Adolescence or early Young Adulthood)
- --Mid: Reevaluation (process experienced when the dream isn’t working out somewhere in the middle of Young Adulthood)
- --Late: Settling Down (near the end of Young Adulthood)
The two methods used to express generativity and the four forms of generativity
- Two Methods for Expressing Generativity:
- 1)Communal: the expression of generativity involving care and nurturance of others.
- 2) Agentic: the expression of generativity involving personal contributions to society.
- Four Forms of Generativity:
- 1)Biological: conceiving and bearing children.
- 2)Parental: nurturing and raising children.
- 3)Technical: teaching skills to apprentices.
- 4)Cultural: transmitting cultural values and institutions
The difficulties each of the two main male characters were having with transitions between and/ or within young adulthood and middle adulthood
Jack (the guy getting married): Intimacy versus Isolation (within young adulthood)
Miles (the wine lover): Generativity versus Stagnation stage (within middle adulthood)
Based on the two methods used to express generativity and the four forms of generativity, in what way is Miles (the wine lover) achieving generativity and in what way is he not achieving generativity?
- Not Achieving:
- - Biological
- - Parental
The primary detrimental behavior exhibted by Miles as a result of his failed marriage and Mid-Life crisis.
He drinks a lot.
Why is Miles infatuated with the red wine called Pinot Noir?
Because the wine describes him.
What is your reading entitled, "Day of the Lout" primarily about?