Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is hypernatremia?
When do you start to see sx?
What causes hypernatremia?
Loss of hypotonic fluid and impaired access to free water
What causes euvolemic hypernatremia?
What causes hypervolemic hypernatremia?
- Exog hypertonic saline
- Mineralcorticoid Excess
How do you correct hypernatremia?
- Correct at approx the rate to which it developed
- goal is drop 10mmol/L/day except in acute cases
How do you tx hypovolemic hypernatremia?
Mention nl vs abnl VS
- Restores access of water
- replete water losses
- Calculate free water deficit and correct Na slowly
- Abnl VS: NSS
- Nl VS: 1/2NSS
How do you tx euvolemic hypernatremia?
(Which is caused by?)
- Caused by DI
- Central DI: DDAVP (desmopressin)
- Nephrogenic: Tx underlying cause
How do you tx hypervolemic hypernatremia?
D5W + loop to help waste some of the water
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview