Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
The christmas songs are an advent to the Holiday season
a coming into place, view, or being; arrival
The misadventured buisinessman often alluded to his poverty
to refer casually or indirectly; make an allusion
It was evident that the bogus dolalr bill was made by an amateur counter fiter
not genuine; counterfeit; spurious; sham
The maid curried the clothes the old fashioned way, with a washboard and a bucket.
- to rub and clean
- to dress (tanned hides) by soaking, scraping, beating, coloring, etc.
- to beat; thrash
A fever often denotes an infection.
- to be a mark or sign of; indicate
- to represent by a symbol; stand as a symbol for
The man's impious remark was offensice to the people in the room that were christians
- not pious or religious; lacking reverence for god, religious practices, etc.; irreligious; ungodly
Hitler's insidious plan was to murder all the Jew in the world.
- stealthy, subtle, cunning, or treacherous
- working in a subtle or apparently innocuous way, but nevertheless deadly
The diamond adds intrincis value to the gold ring.
belonging to the essential nature or constitution of a thing
Bananas are foods with high nutritive value.
serving to nourish; providing nutriment; nutritious
He covered the coffin with a pall
- a cloth, often of velvet, for spreading over a coffin, bier, or tomb
- a coffin
- to become distasteful or unpleasant
Everyone at the tea party brought a set to share so each table had a potpourri of cups and saucers.
- a mixture of dried petals of roses or other flowers with spices, kept in a jar for their fragrance
- a musical medley
- a collection of miscellaneous literary extracts
I want to proffer my friendship with you.
to put before a person for acceptance; offer
The social worker questioned the propriety of the police's request to see confidential records.
- the quality or state of being appropriate or fitting
- rightness or justness
The pandemonious party was filled with racious lughter.
- harsh; strident; grating
- rowdy; disorderly
After the Gulf War, US put heavy sanctions on Iraq's export on oil.
- to authorize, approve, or allow
- to ratify or confirm
- to penalize, especially byt eh was of discipline
- fullness, or state of being fed beyond capacity
- satisfied as in one's desire or appetite.
- excessive, surfiet
Yes We Can was a popular shibboleth used in the 2008 Obama presidential campaign.
- a peculiarity of pronunciation, behavior, mode of dress, etc., that distinguishes a particular class or set of persons
- a slogan; catchword
- a common saying or belief with little current meaning or truth
He unleashed a spate of angry remarks.
a sudden, almost overwhelming, outpouring
Their loyalty substantiated their friendship
- to establish by proof or competent evidence
- to strengthen
He took a bite into the succulent pear.
- full of juice; juicy
- rich in desirable qualities
- affording mental nourishment