UNIT 8 PATROL 8-6 AUTO THEFT & VIN RECONSTRUCTION
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
FOUR BASIC REASONS VEHICLES ARE STOLEN
- 1. Joy riders
- 2. Transportation
- 3. To commit other crimes
- 4. “commercial” theft - for profit
THE FASTEST GROWING TYPE AUTO THEFT
THREE CLUES WHICH MAY
INDICATE A VEHICLE IS STOLEN
- 1.Watch for abnormal driver behavior
- 2. Look for license plates which are damaged or improperly attached
- 3. Pay attention to the condition of the vehicle
SIX INDICATORS BY WHICH AN OFFICER MAY DEVELOP PROBABLE CAUSE TO STOP A VEHICLE BY USE OF THE LICENSE PLATE:
- 1. Look for one plate when two are required
- 2. Look for loose or bent plates
- 3. Check for one plate attached over the top of another
- 4. Determine if plates were previously on another vehicle - paint scratched off on bolt holes
- 5. Determine if plates are clean and attached to a dirty car, or vice versa
- 6. Determine if front and rear plates match
FIVE METHODS OF ESTABLISHING THE IDENTITY OF A VEHICLE:
- 1. Public vin
- 2. Federal certification label
- 3. Engine or transmission numbers
- 4. Packing slips
- 5. Line numbers
INDICATORS ON THE VIN PLATE WHICH INDICATE CEHICLE MAY BE STOLEN
- Characters which are not clean and crisp.
- Scratches or plain on the plate.
- A ring around the outside of rosette style rivets.
- Scratches, smeared glue or adhesive on the area around the plate.
- Evidence that the windshield has been removed.
THREE COMMON WAYS OF DEFEATING THE FEDERAL CERTIFICATION LABEL ON VEHICLE
- 1. Removal and reapplication of a different label from a donor car.
- 2. Alteration of the existing label.
- 3. Replacement with a counterfeit label.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview