Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
Bakhtin- literary mode that subverts and liberates the assumptions of the dominant style or atmosphere through humor and chaos
Steve Siedman- what an actor SHOULD do: suppress/deny audience's presence, depict their fictional role
S. Seidman- comedian announces enunciative function and acknowledges spectator.
- one object equated instantly with another;
- can be a mistake of one for another
- similarity in shape creates analogous fxn.
two distinct series of events interpenetrate, provide conflicting, but individually or perspectivally plausible interpretations
ex) That's my wife--The "couple" (the wife portrays male)- are wrestling in the middle of the dance floor, uncle views it as frisking. Force viewers to see things simultaneously
- Interruption normally with an oblivious victim and a rascal engineer playing a prank
- Humorous scene
- Mess + punishment
mimed gesticulation of object used to metaphorically represent another fxn of obj.
use of matching shots, coherent space & time effects. Used to show continuity.
ex) The Navigator: Geometric sequence of keaton and female looking for each other on the boat, a chase sequence.
using vaudville experience or techniques and including it in the movie screen, always a show to the camera.
ex) Playhouse- majority of scenes occured on a stage--is he giiving a performance to audience in film or to us, the viewers?
finding the revelation of the trick.
ex) propeller scene where a man hangs onto the propellor as it spins.
speedy transformation or reconceptualization of a problem situation by redirecting an object
ex) The Frozen North- Keaton uses guitars as snow shows because it is shaped like snow shoes, also surrealist like
highest form of Dramatic Art
- dominance of a central comic figure,
- utilizaing vaudville aesthetics,
- performer's license to break the rules that governed conventional narratives and diegetic continuums.
- a movement begun on one trajectory is finished on another
- meaning of movement changes midstream
- ex) The Pilgrim- Chaplin is waiting to get his ticket at the counter, notices bars in front of him and is reminded of his jail time. He regresses back to his old ways for a few seconds, then gets back to reality as an escape convict.
limited image given to audience encourages one meaning; added information change sunderstanding of situation
ex) Speedy- @ fair with girlfriend, first shot with him looking like he's throwing up, but he's actually doing a breathing game.
Cinema of Attractions
Tom-Gunning- Showing, presentation aesthetic vs. character driven. Brief, spectacle oriented
show vs tell.
Founded by Mack Sennet who started this w/ comedic films. Chaplin, Arbuckle, and Normand rose to stardom from here.
Vulgar FIND A MORE SOLID DEF OF THIS
- sometimes evokes uneasy feeling
- real. Reality, in a sense, reality of existence is the material reality (bahktin perspective)
- a phenom. playing with biological idea that gender is structured role. Fool with appearance, more convincing it is.
- Body=bioloigical reality, Clothing= imposed part.
ability to mimic surface appearance to make your way through social situations.
DESTABILIZES class,gender, race, and ethnicity
suit represents generic businessman, salesman, signified masculinity and professionalism
SkyScrapers (Merrill Schleier)
- symbol of modernity, prosperity, power & prestige.
- corperate capitalism, efficiency, optimism of American culture
- Also denotes alienation, lonliness, indistinguishable, depersonalized.
- embodies middle class, product of mechanized
- time, upward mobility
Harold was considered one for traversing the buildings on its frame, on the outside. He's tiny compared to the builidign
- coined by Baudelaire- viewed city life served as an
- intoxicant immersion in the urban crowd
- provide artist with novel creative stimuli, at once electrifying and replete(full) with energy.
used as a mode of making one's way through culture. Adds layers of humor.
Immigrants had to assimilate to survivel act of morphing oneself to comfortably fit into society
How is Urban Shock built?
throuhg Nervous impulse principal (continuity techniques build coherence in scene of juxtaposition). Through editting techniques, one can build haptic experiences
bodily experience if you get a rxn (sweaty, <3 racing), watching an optical experience where mind is fooled to do same thing.
What does bergson say about immigration movies, or what would he say?
- form a corrective laughter to elimiate eccentricty by forcing you to keep up, socially.
- uses Assimilation and Conformitymakes us question if ethnicity is just surface based
- ex) Putting Pants on Phillip (Laurel and Hardy)
- aesthetic category assoc. w/ popular festivity, characterized by celebration of bodily element
- exploringbody parts open to outside world.
King states- serve as rallying pt for white workers as they competed against blacks and new immigrants for jobs.
characteristic elements of costume and makeup drawing attn. to orifices and bodily extensions.
- recylced manuscripts written over old ones
- normally has traces of old text
ability of words, signs and symbols to have multiple meanings
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview