- The third stage necessitates specifying the root definition. It is a structured and concise description of a system. Every perspectives, factors and actors need to be taken into account. For this
- reason, Peter Checkland provides the mnemonic CATWOE as a checklist for ensuring that all components involved are identified. The mnemonic stands for:
· Customers, who are the beneficiaires of the system’s activities
· Actors, who are people that cause the systems activities
· Transformation process, which might be expressed as the input and output of the system
· Weltanschauung (or world view), which is the belief of the world implicit in the root definition, that gives coherence to this human activity system and make it meaningful
· Owners, who are people who have the power to modify the system.
· Enviromental constraints, which are limitations on the system imposed by its enviroment, or a wider system that are taken as given in the root definition