Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- The specialized language or vocabulary of a particular group or profession.
- Ex. TAKS, NCLB
placing two elements side by side to present a comparison or contrast.
A narrative handed down from the past, containing historial elements and usually supernatural elements.
Light verse consisting of five lines of regular rhythm in which the first, second, and fifth lines rhyme, and the second and third lines rhyme.
A narrator who presents the story as it is seen and understood by a single charater and restricts information to what is seen, heard, thought, or felt by that one character.
deviating from normal rules or methods in order to achieve a certain effect.
- a type of understatment in which an idea is expressed by negating its opposite.
- Ex. Not too bad to look at, Not a pretty picture.
The mistaken substitution of one word for another word that sounds similar.
A concise statement, often offering advice; an adage.
A direct comparison of two different things.
- Sustituting the name of one object for another object closely associated with it.
- Ex.The pen [writing] is mightier that the sword [war/fighting].
The emotional atmosphere of a work.
A standard theme, element, or dramatic situation that recurs in various works.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview