The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- 1. The Ganges river is a very important part of life, culture, and religion in India . Since India is practically dominated by the Hindu religion, they have many sacred practices and rituals that include the Ganges, the people use it for just about everything they do, including bathing, cooking, and drinking. They believe that the water is holy and part of their god, so they treasure it.
- 2. Hinduism is the main religion of India, encompassing about 86 percent of the population it is an ancient religion, so it is hard to change and get people away from it. Some key characteristics are; Polytheism, Reincarnation, and the Caste system. It has no prophets, no book of faith, and no real doctrine, instead, poetry is recorded and past down to be taught.
- 3. Pakistan and Bangladesh have some history! Pakistan was originally started as east and west Pakistan, each on different sides of the peninsula, they were about 1,000 miles apart so there was very little unity between them, which later led to war in 1947. This resulted in east Pakistan and India breaking off and becoming Bengladesh.
- 4. Religion in the south- Asia region- it is basically India, so the main religion is Hinduism, however you may find that about 13 percent of the population is of the Muslim faith, and if you look hard enough, you may find some underground Christians as well.
- 1. The important highlights in the history of China would include that China has recorded history from 1700b.c. from the Shang dynasty, so it is obviously very old and colonized for a long time. Even back then, there were class systems such as nobles, workers, and warlords.. etc.. In the history of China, there was an opposition to westernization, which led to the Boxer Rebellion of 1898, these people wanted westerners gone! Later on, the effect of decentralization actually took place during WW2, which made them vulnerable, so the Japanese took the opportunity and attacked, which started in 1931. Then in 1949, the communist revolution took place and was successful in turning China into a communist nation, which is the same place they are in today.
- 2. The history of the division between north and south Korea is very interesting. The occupation over Korea ended in 1949, and the Korean war era suddenly started in 1950 and went until 1953. It was the communist north that invaded the free south, many other countries joined in helping either side until finally a cease fire was established. The current government is a communist party.
- 3. The place of Japan: the Japanese archipelago is made up of four major islands, its’ borders are obviously an ocean on every side because it is an island nation. The land mass is about 23,000 square miles and has many volcanoes and earthquakes. Only 5 percent of the land is actually arable, this is due to the many mountains and volcanoes.
- 4. The religion in east Asia is primarily communist, the goal of communism in China is to rid itself of any religion among the people, but since there is such great persecution, this also purifies the underground Christian church gatherings because only the extremely faithful ones would stay in church and risk their lives for it.
- 1. The history and politics of Myanmar- Myanmar was originally known as Burma. It received independence after WW2 in 1948. Later a brutal dictatorship came about that was run by the military, this set the nation deep into poverty. There was no mercy, many executions, abuse, rape, and impisonment. In general there was no protection of human rights.
- 2. The challenges in Thailand and Cambodia regarding spiritual darkness are heavily encountered as WRONG from a kingdom of God perspective. These struggles are in the areas of Buddhism being the main religion, moral challenges (they really don’t know what is right or wrong), the sex slave industry is HUGE, and the final challenge is with battling sexually transmitted diseases such as AIDS, and HIV. Although these things make the nations sound horribly lost, it opens doors for many evangelism opportunities and Christian orginizations that work with the young women who have been sold into the sex slave scene.
- 3. The history of the French in Indochina- the French did control most of the region prior to the communist take over. The French gave the independence.
- 4. A brief history of the U.S.A military involvement in Vietnam- when the north attacked the south, they were expecting the domino theory to take place, which did not happen. The war went from 1946 to 1954. The U.S.A joined in the push against the north and eventually the war ended at the borders were secured on the 17th parallel. Not a smart decision by our leaders of that day.