Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
how do you describe impetigo?
scaly rash with golden crusting
what Ix do you do if suspect impetigo?
what are most common causes of impetigo?
- staph aureus
- strep pyogenes (GAS)
what is Rx of impetigo?
- flucloxacillin and penicillin - systemic
- topical: potassium permanganate soaks and topical antibiotics
what is the diagnosis if there is erythema running up the leg and painful lymphoedema?
ascending lymphangitis (usually strep)
what is Rx of cellulitis?
- flucloxacillin 1g qds iv
- and penicilin g 1g qds iv
what is erysipelas? - features
- superficial infection
- well defined edge
- face, legs
- malaise, fever
what is cause of erysipelas?
what is Rx of erysipelas?
penicillin G 1g qds
which part of the body do fungal infections affect children mainly?
scalp = tinea capitis
what part of body do fungal infections affect adults?
which Ix do you do to confirm fungal infection?
what is fungal infection of groin called?
what do fungal infection of skin look like?
- annular, serpininous edge
- red, expanding outwards
what are Rx options of fungal skin infection?
what is Rx for tinea capitis?
if there are multiple macules of hypopigmentation on the back, what is that called/due to?
what is pityriasis caused by?
what is main feature of pityriasis versicolor?
- variably pigmented patches, fine scale
what are predisposing factors for pityriasis versicolor?
- high humidity
- high rate of sebum production
- elevated cortisol eg prolonged steroids
what is Rx for pityriasis versicolor?
- ketoconazole shampoo only if pt wants to
- or selenium sulphide
what is time scale of pityriasis versicolor?
what are symptoms of pityriasis versicolor?
what is Rx of head /body lice?
what causes reactions to insect bites?
what is main feature of reaction to insect bite?
what is treatment of reaction to insect bite?
- treat pets
- spray home with insecticide eg malathion
- antibmicrobial for secondary infection
how is scabies spread??
prolonged skin contact - hand hold, sex, share bed
what is main symptom of scabies?
where on body does scabies affect?
- intraepidermal burrows
- hands, wrists, shaft of penis
what is Rx of scabies?
- permethrin or malathion
- wash all bedding and clothes
- treat all household at same time
what causes HSV to recur?
- skin immunosuppression eg UV radiation
- altered hormone mileu - menstruation
- common cold
- altered immune states
what is the skin lesion of HSV usually described as?
grouped vesicles (clusters) on an erythematous base
what Ix do you do if suspect HSV?
viral PCR from swab
what is Rx of HSV skin infection?
how do you describe the rash of varicella?
- papules and vesicles
how do you describe the rash of zoster
- vesicles, cropped, clusters
what is complication of zoster?
post herpetic neuralgia
purple plaques on the face of a young man, what could that be?
how do you describe molluscum contagious?
umbilicated skin coloured papulessssssss
who is at risk of molluscum?
- sexually active
- HIV infected
what is Rx of molluscum?
- self limiting so no treatment usually
- can do cryo
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview