The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
The universe about ________ years old.
How did our solar system form and when?
- 4.6 billion years ago
- 1. The Sun formed and the material left over made the planets. Some material is still around as asteroids, comets, and meteors.
- 2. Meteor bombardment crushed the metoers together and formed the Earth. These had caused a lot of heat and it was pretty much a ball of lava. It slowly cooled and formed the crust.
- 3. Many gasses were trapped below the surface and the volcanoes allowed these gases to escape.
- 4. Water vapor erupted, but Earth was so hot that it stayed in a gas form.
- 5. However, as the temperature cooled, the gas condensed and made the oceans 4.4 billion years ago.
What is the difference between relative and absolute dating?
Relative dating is relative to something else. In Earth's history, something 10,000 years old seems old to us, but super young in Earth's history.
What are some principles that help you date rocks and determine their order?
- Principle of Superposition-The rocks on the bottom are older than the ones on the top.
- Principle of Cross Cutting-An igneous rock intrusion is younger than the rocks that are touching it, unless it is above and there are no contact metamorphism lines.
- Law of Original Horizontally- Sedimentary rocks are always in horizontal layers.
How do you correlate rocks?
Find the index fossils, volcanic ash layers, or thiner layers and try to get them correlated. The bigger the distance and the shorther the time it was around, the better.
The present is the key to _______
the past. Principle of uniformitarianism says the events occur today as they did a long time ago. As environments change, so does the life on Earth. This is evolution.
We use radioactive elements to determine rock's age. These elements have more neutrons than normal. Elements break down ______
Exponentially. Therefore. If it take 20 years to go from 100 to 50., it take another 20 to go from 50 to 25.
Be sure you know how to use the reference tables on this. It is super important to use pages 8-9.
Yes it is.