Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is the peurperium period?
begins after the delivery of the placenta and last approx. 6 weeks
What is involution?
- uterus returns to its normal size through a gradual process
- three retrogressive processes:
- Contraction of muscle fivers to reduce those previously stretched during pregnancy
- Catabolism, which reduces enlarged, individual myometrial cells
- Regeneration of uterine epithelium from the lower layer of the decidua after the upper layers have been sloughed off and shed during lochial discharge
Approx. weight of uterus after birth?
- 1000 g soon after birth
- 500 g (shrinks by 50%) 1 week after birth
- 60 g at end of 6 weeks
What does lochia consist of immediately after childbirth?
- mainly of blood, fibrinous products, decidual cells, and red and white blood cells
- color is bright red
- average amount of discharge is 240 to 270 ml (8 to 9 oz)
Three stages of lochia:
- lochia rubra:
- deep red mixture of mucus, tissue debris, and blood that occurs for the first 3 to 4 days after birth
- lochia serosa:
- pinksh brown in color and is expelled 3 to 10 day postpartum. contains leukocytes, decidual tissue, red blood cells, and serous fluid
- lochia alba:
- creamy white or light brown and consists of leukocytes, decidual tissue, and reduced fluid content. occurs from days 10 to 14 but can last 3 to 6 weeks postpartum in some women and still be considered normal
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview