SOCIAL STUDIES CHAP 5
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is it like on a DESERT?
It is a place with very DRY climate
__________ are kinds of LANDS. Name a few examples.
- examples: mountains, valleys, plateaus, plains
The PLANT life in a place depends on ________ and __________
What is the name of the world's longest MOUNTAIN RANGE.
What is another word for CHANGE?
Environment is made up of all the physical features, human features and conditions of a place
What are examples of FUEL.
- all are natural resources
How do people adapt to their environment?
- *wear special clothing
- *by heating or cooling their homes
- *use natural resources in the environment to make their living
Where is NATURAL HARBOR and why is it important?
It is in PORTLAND, MAINE and it is one of the largest fishing centers in the US.
Name a MINERAL.
- *both are natural resources
What is important about a FARM.
- * they provide food to millions of people
- * they grow huge crops with the help of machinery
What are ROUTES and why are they important?
- *paths between one place to another
- *they make it possible the movement of people and goods
- *bridges, highways, railroads and roads are routes
Give examples of HUMAN FEATURES.
buildings, bridges, roads, farms and mines
___________ grow huge food crops with the help of the community.
What are PHYSICAL FEATURES of a place?
- plant life
What is the study of Earth's features called?
What is a VALLEY?
lowlands that lie between mountain ranges
What is a PLATEAUS?
landforms that have steep sides and a flat top
What is a GROWING SEASON?
the time in which crops can grow
What is a CROSSROAD?
a place where two routes meet
What is the difference between a CANAL and a PORT.
- CANAL; waterway built by people
- PORT: place where ships dock to pick up goods or passengers
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview