Health Physics: Thermometers
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
what does a thermometer require?
some measurable physical property that changes with temperature
what property changes in a liquid-in-glass thermometer?
volume of liquid
what property changes in a digital thermometer?
resistance of thermistor
what property changes in a crystal strip thermometer?
crystals have different melting points
describe a liquid-in-glass thermometer.
- the liquid inside the thermometer expands when it is heated
- its volume increases and it rises up the tube
- the liquid expands more than the glass
describe a clinical thermometer.
- measures over a smaller range so it can be more accurate
- keeps highest reading for ease of use
- glass tube shaped like a lens to magnify the thin thread of liquid
what is the normal body temperature?
what is the body temperature if the person has a fever?
above 38 degrees
what is the body temperature if the person has hypothermia?
below 34 degrees
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview